View Full Version : Logging tool for unexpected PPC startup ?

roty
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Hello,

I've some problems with my PPC. Something is eating the battery power
during the PCC is turned off.

Is there a tool which is able to log any wake-up of the CPU? It would be
nice to get a protocol of any start (time, date and possibly the reason).

Something seen anywhere?

Thanks

[/quote]

OSUKid7
12-22-2004, 02:01 AM
I don't know of any programs that would do that, but realize that all Pocket PCs use small amounts of power while off (in suspend mode). Your Pocket PC will decharge, and ultimately lose its data, if you do not charge it regularly.

In addition, I think all Pocket PCs wake up for a minute or so at midnight to perform daily system maintenance tasks.

baker
12-22-2004, 03:38 AM
Check your settings in Activsync for server and wireless. Make sure they're set to manual. If you're syncing wirelessly, make sure you Stop AS first and then turn off your wireless. I've also had a weather today plug in keep turning on to find weather updates, so if you have one, you may want to check that as well.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 04:26 AM
I've some problems with my PPC. Something is eating the battery power during the PCC is turned off.

How much juice is it chewing up when it's turned off? Normally, it requires a small amount of battery power to keep everything running (and the clock ticking ;)) whilst in standby mode. Usually, it doesn't consume a lot of power in this case, but the biggest culprits actually tend to be wireless technologies you have running in the background. Make sure these are turned off, and that ActiveSync isn't running. Also, if you have any SDIO/CF accessories in your slots, these can also tend to chew up power in standby mode - depending on the accessory of course.

roty
12-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi all.

I know all you mentioned. But I'm talking about loss of more then 50% of
power after 5 hours off (or sleep or suspend or power down mode, however
you call it). AS is not involved for sure.

Thanks

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 07:30 AM
I think it could either be a program attempting to gain access to the internet while running in the background (the biggest culprits are today plugins), or a hardware accessory as I mentioned earlier. Also, how old is your battery? It could be nearing its end of the standard battery lifecycle.

roty
12-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention. The PPC is brand new. I got it some days ago.
It works perfect if it's turned on.

Independent on that, wouldn't it be nice to get such a tool ?

Thanks

newst
12-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Uptime meter might help you track down your problem-and it is freeware:

http://ae.inc.ru/

roty
12-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Thank you very much for this information.

It seems that's what I need. I'll check it soon.

Merry Xmass to all.

Lucutus
12-23-2004, 02:18 PM
On that note: a process or programme called "Default Ime" (I get the name displayed in the top window bar as well as an "X" to close the programme) starts itself and the PPC up very frequently. I don't know how often but it definitely does things to my battery...

Anyone of you know what this is and how to switch it off?

Thanks and Merry Xmas! :)