View Full Version : Changing from Tmobile to AT&T/Cingular

tato68
12-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Folks,

I need some help! I'm thinking of changing to AT&T because of coverage and also because the turn off the ports on WAP :cry: .

Can somebody tell me of any tradeoff for changing from Tmobile to AT&T? I would like to have connectivity from my PDA (thru my phone) to Email and Internet.

Any suggestions?

ignar
12-21-2004, 07:17 PM
It really depends on your location, but generally Cingular has better network coverage and reception than T-Mobile. Also they have EDGE availability in many area. You will need to subscribe one of their media package for internet connection. I recommend $19.99 plan since it comes with unlimited GPRS (EDGE), 1500 SMS, and some mms. It'd be probably better to sign up with Cingular than AT&T unless AT&T plans are now all converged to Cingular ones. Cingular has roll over for $39.99 plus plans. You will need to unlock your current T-mobile phone unless it's already unlocked. If you are going to get a new phone as well, get one with BT and EDGE enabled. Nokia 6230, 6620, SE T637 are good ones.

ADBrown
12-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, I haven't used ATT/Cing personally, but I do know that to get unlimited GPRS on Cingular you have to pay $20 a month, the same as the unlimited internet plan on T-Mo. On the bright side, you get a lot more coverage, as well as the option of EDGE, which is a lot faster than GPRS.

tato68
12-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks for your input! I'll be doing the change today. Crossfingers 0X

Sven Johannsen
12-22-2004, 04:35 PM
You will need to subscribe one of their media package for internet connection. I recommend $19.99 plan since it comes with unlimited GPRS (EDGE), 1500 SMS, and some mms.

Guess I'm missing somethng here. I'm looking at Cingular's web page. Their unlimited data plan says $79.99. That's the basic reason I am putting up with T-Mobiles spotty coverage.

macs4god
12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
I've considered switching to Cingular a number of times also, but they don't seem to have any rate plans that compare to what I have w/ T-Mobile. I currently pay $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes and $19.99 for Unlimited GPRS access for use w/ my iPaq h1945 and Sony Ericsson Z600.

But Cingular charges $59.99 for 850 anytime minutes and then $19.99 for the GPRS. That's $20 more per month for less minutes! I really wish Cingular had some better plans, because they have more up to date phones and better coverage from what I hear. Oh well, I guess I'll be stuck with T-Mobile forever... :?

ADBrown
12-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Guess I'm missing somethng here. I'm looking at Cingular's web page. Their unlimited data plan says $79.99. That's the basic reason I am putting up with T-Mobiles spotty coverage.

Cingular has a plan called MEdia Works that gives you unlimited GPRS/EDGE for $20 a month. They don't list it as a data plan, because it doesn't 'officially' support tethering, but unofficially it's their gesture to the individual user market.

ignar
12-22-2004, 08:11 PM
I've considered switching to Cingular a number of times also, but they don't seem to have any rate plans that compare to what I have w/ T-Mobile. I currently pay $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes and $19.99 for Unlimited GPRS access for use w/ my iPaq h1945 and Sony Ericsson Z600.

But Cingular charges $59.99 for 850 anytime minutes and then $19.99 for the GPRS. That's $20 more per month for less minutes! I really wish Cingular had some better plans, because they have more up to date phones and better coverage from what I hear. Oh well, I guess I'll be stuck with T-Mobile forever... :?

Just checked Cingular website, and you're right. Their current plans are not that great. They've run a promotion of 1000 anytime mins for $39.99 for some time. I signed up for the plan last summer and with rollover, I have more than 3000 mins for this month. The promotion may come back, so keep wathching.

Sven, here is a media works package page. For tethering, Cingular doesn't "support" it, but for light usage, they don't seem to mind. I usually use around 30MB a month. On the other hand, Sprint doesn't "allow" tethering. Many Sprint customers are still tethering nevertheless, but I feel a little more comfortable with Cingular policy.

http://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

macs4god
12-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Just checked Cingular website, and you're right. Their current plans are not that great. They've run a promotion of 1000 anytime mins for $39.99 for some time. I signed up for the plan last summer and with rollover, I have more than 3000 mins for this month. The promotion may come back, so keep wathching.
Thanks for the heads up ignar, I'll keep my eyes open for promotions! I really like the idea of rollover, and better coverage with Cingular.