View Full Version : Sprite in the Nick of Time: How I solved my Hard Reset Rebuilds

Skorpyo
12-21-2004, 04:50 PM
As a relatively new user of a Toshiba e800 my biggest woe was the lack of a built-in battery backup, which like my old Axim, keeps your flash memory powered enough to retain your data and apps.

After several manaul rebuilds of re-installing all of my apps and settings and getting things just the way I wanted them I decided to look further into how to keep from having to rebuild the e800 manually every time.

I decided to try sprite backup and found some interesting tips that others might find useful as they sure have proven invaluable to me.

I started by configuring my e800 just the way I wanted and then hard reset it to test my new config and the steps below how I was back in business in just 5 minutes following my hard reset.

1. Install Sprite Backup to your PC and PPC.
2. Perform a full backup from the Sprite Backup PPC Client to a flash card (SD or CF).
3. Copy the Sprite Backup.PPC420_XXXX.cab to the same flash card on your PPC as your backup.
4. Create a .TXT file with your serial for sprite and store it to the flash card also.
5. Mark the .cab file above as read only on your PPC

Now if you wanna play hardball:
Test this all out
1. Hard-reset your PPC
2. Walk through the basic setup of the OS
3. Open file explorer and run the Sprite_Backup cab
4. Launch sprite on your PPC and enter your serial.
5. Perform a restore from the backup file you created
6. Click yes to soft reset your device.

If everything goes as it did for me, then you're back in business!

I don't take credit for any of this idea, I'm just posting something that worked for me and may work for others who like me hate having to rebuild their PPC everytime you have an issue.

The only remaining tip is BE SURE YOU PERFORM REGULAR BACKUPS. :)
Skorpyo