View Full Version : Letter Recognizer not accepting certain characters

kwong26
12-21-2004, 03:56 AM
i use the letter recognizer to write to the ppc, but now when i'm trying to write characters like "i" or ":" or "?" it doesn't allow me to do that. it just marks it down as two separate characters.

anyone have this happen and know of what can cause this type of situation?

Darius Wey
12-21-2004, 04:28 AM
You'll need to take into account that there are three virtual colums in the Letter Recognizer interface. The one on the left is for creating capital letters, the one in the middle is for creating lower cases letters, and the one on the right is for numbers and symbols. If you're trying to create a lowercase "i", you just input a lowercase "i" in the middle column, but keep the dot in the middle column. If you want to insert a colon, then write the ":" on the right column, but keep the dots in the right column and nowhere else. The same can be said for the question mark "?".

Also, even though the one on the left is for capital letters, you should still always write it as lowercase letters, since that's how Letter Recognizer processes the information you input.

OSUKid7
12-21-2004, 05:18 AM
In addition to what Darius said, to write an i, just draw a line up. If you draw a line down and then add a dot, it'll print an l and a period. For a question mark, just the top part (no dot) in the right (numbers/symbols) column should work. The colon should work with two taps, if you do it fast enough, and in the right column.

kwong26
12-21-2004, 05:42 AM
thanks for the attempted help, but i know all that you suggested.

the issue is not that i don't know how to write the characters, but when i attempt to write the characters like for "i", i would draw a line down with a dot on top like the way you write normally, but it just comes out as "l." instead.

OSUKid7
12-21-2004, 05:47 AM
thanks for the attempted help, but i know all that you suggested.

the issue is not that i don't know how to write the characters, but when i attempt to write the characters like for "i", i would draw a line down with a dot on top like the way you write normally, but it just comes out as "l." instead.
Reread my post. :)
In addition to what Darius said, to write an i, just draw a line up. If you draw a line down and then add a dot, it'll print an l and a period.

Darius Wey
12-21-2004, 06:16 AM

I can reproduce the problem you're talking about. The issue here is that you're inputting the dot next to the line, as opposed to the top of the line. When I write my "i's", I'll write it like how I write it on paper. So I draw the line down, and add the dot on top. Alternatively, OSUKid7's suggestion of stroking a line from bottom to top also works. Give that a go. :)

Don Tolson
12-21-2004, 07:28 AM
I sometimes see the same problem (not recognizing the second stroke) when there are other apps running in background which are taking processor time. Try taking a look at the running programs in memory and shutting a few down. That may help with recognition

kwong26
12-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks Don!!

Your suggestion that it was a process in the background worked perfectly. I was able to find out the culprit causing the second stroke not to be recognized. It ended up being Pocket Breeze and it makes sense because I had just installed the latest build (4.2.05) and started to notice that this was happening.