View Full Version : Firefox and Embedded WMV files - what's the solution?

Jason Dunn
12-20-2004, 08:42 PM
I switched over to using Firefox, and I like it quite a bit, but I can't play embedded WMV files - hell, I can't even open them externally! When I come across an embedded WMV file I have to open up the page in IE to view the video. In that sense, Firefox is costing me time.

I've Googled this and can't seem to come up with the solution - I've tried re-installing WMP10 at the suggestion of someone else, but that didn't help. So for those of you using Firefox, how are you viewing embedded WMV files?

Dave Beauvais
12-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Do you have Windows Media-related plug-ins listed under Tools/Options/Downloads/Plug-Ins button? If so, make sure they have checks next to them rather than dots. I have a plug-in for ASX, WAX, WM, WMA, WMV, and WVX files. Also make sure (under Downloads) that none of the file types you're trying to work with are in the list as "Save to disk."

OSUKid7
12-21-2004, 02:18 AM
As I remember, WMV files launch in WMP when linked. Can you give an example of a page with an embedded WMV file? I'd be glad to test it here to see how Firefox reacts.

Darius Wey
12-21-2004, 06:38 AM
Jason, I think you're talking about true embedded files - one that is a part of the page, as opposed to one that is linked?

Personally, I don't have any problems with viewing embedded media files, but anyhow, have a look at this (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#mediaplayerconnectivity). I'm not sure if it will solve anything but it's worth a try. ;)

Jason Dunn
12-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Jason, I think you're talking about true embedded files - one that is a part of the page, as opposed to one that is linked?

Correct. Isn't embedded the right term? Anyway, I'll give that a look...

Kati Compton
12-21-2004, 06:09 PM

Correct. Isn't embedded the right term? Anyway, I'll give that a look...

If you have any example URLs, we could check and see if we have the same problem...