View Full Version : What do you miss most from other versions of WinCE?

marcm
12-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Hey! I just thought about some features that I miss from other, old versions of Windows CE...

Cascading start menu...Pretty much every version of Windows CE before Pocket PC...now replaced by Wisbar though :)
Desktop...Handheld PC 2000
PowerPoint Viewer...Handheld PC 2000

Those are just a few things I miss, what are some of yours?

Jonathon Watkins
12-19-2004, 04:30 PM
(I moved this thread into the Win CE forum as it seemed to be more at home here).

Personally I very much like the move away from older CE versions. I don't miss the cascading start menu as I use Pocket Plus to have all my apps available on the 'Today' screen.

What do you miss about the desktop that you can't do with the 'Today' screen btw?

marcm
12-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks for moving it, I wasn't sure where to put it because I wasn't sure if it was .NET or not...

Good point about the desktop. I guess I don't really miss the desktop anymore... I can just use Pocket Plus...
I just thought of a couple other things I miss from HPC 2000 though...
The built-in keyboard was good (although I use an external one now...
The HVGA resolution and the large screens were good... but maybe I'll get a VGA PPC when prices drop and my X30 stops working (hopefully in a long time)
I think HPC just had a better desktop feel, but right now, I love the Windows Mobile feel... :D

Janak Parekh
12-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks for moving it, I wasn't sure where to put it because I wasn't sure if it was .NET or not...
CE .NET is a misnomer. In fact, the next version of CE drops it. Jonathon, we should talk about renaming this forum. :P

Re cascading menus: that was one of the most disliked features of HPCs, so you must be in the minority. ;)

--janak

marcm
12-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Re cascading menus: that was one of the most disliked features of HPCs, so you must be in the minority. ;)

Oh well... I kind of like sitting in the corner by myself enjoying the cascading Start Menu... I'm not lonely... :wink:

marcm
12-20-2004, 01:32 AM
CE .NET is a misnomer. In fact, the next version of CE drops it. Jonathon, we should talk about renaming this forum. :P

Looks like it's been done! Thanks! Now nobody (like me) will ever get confused again! :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-20-2004, 01:48 AM
Looks like it's been done! Thanks! Now nobody (like me) will ever get confused again! :wink:
Indeed, the title of the forum has been updated. Now let's just hope people don't get confused the other way. :P

--janak

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Oh well... I kind of like sitting in the corner by myself enjoying the cascading Start Menu... I'm not lonely... :wink:

Ah well. Wisbar Advance offers you that functionality now. Anyway, I don't mind a non-cascading start menu, but I do wish that WM would natively support the listing of programs in alternate ways. I'm growing tired of the default icon view when you tap on Programs. I'll be happy once WM offers native support to allow programs to be listed in a list format.

Dave Beauvais
12-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Something I miss from my Uniden Unipro PC100A Palm-size PC (pre-Pocket PC) is a feature of the input panel. Back in those days the auto-complete feature gave you the option to prefer words that you had previously entered. This would allow something like my last name to pop up in the auto-complete list, which is never the case with today's Pocket PCs. I can't understand why Microsoft would have done away with something so useful.

felixdd
01-06-2005, 07:20 AM
I bitterly miss the powerpoint viewer and the more powerful control panel applets (i.e. display properties).