View Full Version : Download images from My Pictures folder on desktop to the x5

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 03:44 AM
I am still learning, but have a way to go.

How do I get pictures stored on my hard drive desktop PC in the My Pictures folder to download to my Dell Axim X5?? I have tried several times with no success.

Darius Wey
12-19-2004, 04:13 AM
There are multiple ways in which you can do this:

(1) If you wish to download them to a storage card, and you have a storage card reader attached to your PC, simply pop the card in the reader and use the PC's file browser to copy and paste the pictures from "My Pictures" to a folder of your choosing on the storage card. Once that's done, simply pop the card back in your Pocket PC.

(2) You can do it if you have an ActiveSync connection up and running. Simply click on File > Explore on ActiveSync on your PC, and this will open a window which allows you to copy and paste picture files from My Pictures (you will have to open My Pictures of course) to the Mobile Device.

(3) If you synchronise files between your PC and Pocket PC, you can copy the picture files into the synchronised folder in My Documents (the name of the folder is usually: "ABCD My Documents", where ABCD is the name of your device). On the next synchronisation, your picture files should synchronise to your device.

Hope that helps. :)

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 05:03 AM
Thanks very much that did help. I chose option number 2.

Question: Is there a program which help with the appearance of the photos when displayed on the X5 or is this a limitation of the hardware?
Any way to "simulate" VGA capability via software?

Darius Wey
12-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Question: Is there a program which help with the appearance of the photos when displayed on the X5 or is this a limitation of the hardware?
Any way to "simulate" VGA capability via software?

When you state "help with appearance", are you talking about some kind of picture manager? If so, Spb Imageer (http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=102019&sectionId=0&catalog=30&topSectionId=-1) is great for that. I highly recommend it.

With respect to VGA emulation, Nyditot or dotPocket can do it. However, it's a pain switching between a QVGA/VGA resolution as you will have to soft-reset your device each time, and text on a VGA-simulated resolution is hardly readable. The idea may sound great at first, but the novelty easily wears off. If you really wanted VGA, I'd wait until you purchase a VGA device in the future.

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 12:48 PM
I appreciate everyone's help here.

When I know enough to be of help I will also contribute.

8O

Also, with imageer would there be a real simplistic feature, which allows
you to just say improve image quality and it will automatically adjust contrast, brightness, etc.??

Robrecht
12-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Depending on how large your pictures are and how much space you have available on your handheld or membory card, I would think you would also want to downsize the photos to match the resolution on your handheld. This should also allow your pictures to show up more quickly on your handheld.

I've just started playing with XnView (freeware) to downsize a large number of pictures at one time. Seems to work well.

Jason Dunn
12-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Also, with imageer would there be a real simplistic feature, which allows you to just say improve image quality and it will automatically adjust contrast, brightness, etc.??

Yes, it has an "auto fix"button that works quite well, but you can also manually adjust brightness, contrast, and do red-eye removal, etc.