View Full Version : Need Help? Be Descriptive

Jason Dunn
12-17-2004, 06:00 PM
I've noticed a large influx lately of new Pocket PC owners, which is great to see, and many of the new messages are "I need help!" messages. We're here to help you, but it's important that both the subject line <i>and</i> the message itself as as descriptive. A message entitled "HELP!?!" or "PLEASE HELP!!!" isn't very descriptive, and in many ways it will cause people to bypass your message rather than gaining you the help you want. Here are some general guidelines for getting help quickly in our forums:<br /><br />• Read over the forum descriptions and pick the best forum for your question<br />• Only post in one forum - if you haven't received a response after a few days, you can try posting in another forum, but try changing the subject line or your post<br />• Be as detailed as possible in your post: include things like the make and model of your Pocket PC, an exact description of the problem, and what steps (if any) you've taken to try and solve it thus far<br /><br />To all our new members, welcome! We're here to help you, so if you follow the above guidelines, you stand a good chance of being helped quickly and effectively. :-)

dwildone
12-17-2004, 06:14 PM
I agree with Jason completely- it gets hard to look at lots of threads with titles like "HELP..." or "IPAQ question...".

I'd also add (and in a friendly tone :D ) to please try and use the search function before posting your questions. I realize that this takes some practice to use well; those of us that have been around for a while will be glad to help and may even point you to an existing thread on the topic. :beer: Eventually you will be able to find a similar post or maybe even an answer by using the search functions.

Welcome to all you new PPC owners and PPCT members out there :)

Evee Ev
12-17-2004, 06:16 PM
JASON LIVES!!!!! i haven't heard from you in a while.

Jason Dunn
12-17-2004, 06:17 PM
JASON LIVES!!!!! i haven't heard from you in a while.

I'm here, just very busy. I'm more active on DMT because that site needs the most help right now. PPCT is ticking along quite nicely! :mrgreen:

Pony99CA
12-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Here are some general guidelines for getting help quickly in our forums:

• Read over the forum descriptions and pick the best forum for your question
• Only post in one forum - if you haven't received a response after a few days, you can try posting in another forum, but try changing the subject line or your post
• Be as detailed as possible in your post: include things like the make and model of your Pocket PC, an exact description of the problem, and what steps (if any) you've taken to try and solve it thus far
Besides Jason's suggestions, check out Pony's Posting Proverbs (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11413). I wrote it a while back specifically for new users. :-)

Steve

dwildone
12-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Ah yes... Pony's Classic. Very useful :)

Jonathan1
12-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Yes. I'm having problems with my PDA. I don't know who makes it. I think its running one of those PDA OS's. The problem is that the device won't run this app I have. I'm not sure why. Its a good app. Can you please help.

;) *runs and hides from the forthcoming pummeling* :D

dwildone
12-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Yes. I'm having problems with my PDA. I don't know who makes it. I think its running one of those PDA OS's. The problem is that the device won't run this app I have. I'm not sure why. Its a good app. Can you please help.

:splat: :snipersmile: :bangin: :twak:

Actually.... :rofl: and all too true.

David Loendorf
12-17-2004, 08:41 PM

...and when I turn it on - nothing happens - I'm wondering if maybe it needs some AAA batteries? I cannot find anywhere in the documentation what kind it uses. :roll:

Godsongz
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
hehehe appropriate thread considering the hordes of new PPC users we'll see wandering in here shortly after Christmas.

Jonathon Watkins
12-17-2004, 11:02 PM
hehehe appropriate thread considering the hordes of new PPC users we'll see wandering in here shortly after Christmas.

And we'll all gladly welcome them, won't we guys! :) We were all newbies once. :wink:

Mark Johnson
12-18-2004, 02:57 AM
On my computer at work I press the any key when this happens and that usually works, but this PDA thingy doesn't have an any key. It doesn't have a keyboard at all!

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 03:21 AM
It doesn't have a keyboard at all!

Yes it does! Well...kind of. :P

shawnc
12-18-2004, 07:36 AM
You guys are BRUTAL :) . Actually I don't mind the elementary questions, especially since I ask my share of them. Also, this site is the best thing going (and 2nd place ain't even close) but the one problem I have with it is it's search capabilities. I v-e-r-y rarely get less than 10 pages of results.

What I am less tolerant on is with a "Please Help" descirption. I simply don't read them. EVER! I will never, ever read a post that doesn't give some indication of the problem in the title. Newbie or veteran, it doesn't matter. If someone can't take the time to give more info, I won't take the time to try and help. It's just that simple.

surur
12-18-2004, 12:07 PM
I agree that the search capability on this site is pretty poor. Sometimes using google to search ppcthoughts works better than the native search. It could do with some improvement.

Surur

RKosin
12-18-2004, 01:24 PM
With all the wisdom previously expressed...how about a five point questionaire that a "new" user should work through before posting.... :|

Sven Johannsen
12-18-2004, 03:41 PM
:wink:

Darius Wey
12-19-2004, 05:10 AM
I agree that the search capability on this site is pretty poor. Sometimes using google to search ppcthoughts works better than the native search. It could do with some improvement.

phpBB's search capabilities are a bit limited. Hopefully, it will get better.

omikron.sk
12-19-2004, 05:34 PM

phpBB's search capabilities are a bit limited. Hopefully, it will get better.
In fact they are VERY limited and it really takes some time to find what you are looking for.

Janak Parekh
12-19-2004, 07:42 PM
In fact they are VERY limited and it really takes some time to find what you are looking for.
I've gotten okay at it, but it does take some guesswork. My three main tips are:

1. phpBB doesn't support words of two letters or shorter, so don't try searching that way.
2. Hyphenated words are tricky -- phpBB search typically sees them as two words.
3. Make sure to search all words, not any word, to narrow your search.

Given those, I've managed to find about 90-95% of what I'm looking for in a couple attempts. But yeah, I'll be happy when we can move to a newer platform (phpBB 2.2 or otherwise) with more robust search features.

--janak