View Full Version : Burn-in on Axim X50v screen!

QYV
12-17-2004, 09:18 AM
I leave my Axim in portrait mode when it sits in the cradle, and it's been there for some time over the past few days. I undocked it and flipped to landscape mode this evening and was alarmed to discover a thin line where the bottom menu bar would be in portrait mode, as well as a faint image of the Windows flag that's part of the today screen image. Anyone else seen this? I've only had the thing for a couple of weeks, so I'm a little unhappy! :evil:

(note that I've been using SE_VGA - not sure how that would be relevant, but figured I'd mention it...)

ADBrown
12-17-2004, 09:25 AM
This has been noticed by some people after leaving the screen on a static image for quite awhile. Just leave the screen off (or displaying something else) for a time, and it will go away.

Jason Dunn
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah, LCDs don't typically have burn-in problems, it's more like "these pixels have been painted a certain way for a long time" syndrome - it should go away.

goirish!!
12-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I leave my Axim in portrait mode when it sits in the cradle, and it's been there for some time over the past few days. I undocked it and flipped to landscape mode this evening and was alarmed to discover a thin line where the bottom menu bar would be in portrait mode, as well as a faint image of the Windows flag that's part of the today screen image. Anyone else seen this? I've only had the thing for a couple of weeks, so I'm a little unhappy! :evil:

(note that I've been using SE_VGA - not sure how that would be relevant, but figured I'd mention it...)

I have screen saver activated in the Pictures program so this very thing will not happen.

bmurphy
12-21-2004, 11:07 AM
I have screen saver activated in the Pictures program so this very thing will not happen.

which pictures program are you referring to? I have an x30 (still.. the x50v is still on back order, and after 2 full months of order mixups, wonder if I should just give up! Is the screen on the x50v really worth the wait?)
I looked through my Pictures program and couldn't find any screen saver.
Barb

goirish!!
12-21-2004, 01:41 PM

which pictures program are you referring to? I have an x30 (still.. the x50v is still on back order, and after 2 full months of order mixups, wonder if I should just give up! Is the screen on the x50v really worth the wait?)
Barb

On the X50v there is a small pic viewer that will allow the screen saver option. Once you open the program goto options; choose the second tab, and there will be a check box to activate screen saver.

As far as the screen being worth the wait; well I have an X5, and a iPaq 1910, neither of which can hold a candle to the screen on the X50v. I was very skeptical that the screen could be that much better, but now that I have it there is absolutely no comparison. IMO there should be nothing on the market that does not have the VGA screen. For the first time since 2000 when I bought my first PPC (EM500) I realize the true potential a handheld posses.

Bottom line, tough it out and you will not be disappointed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

bmurphy
12-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks, I will. I just checked and there is an error notification on my order online, so I guess I'll be back on the phone to them!!!
Barb

goirish!!
12-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks, I will. I just checked and there is an error notification on my order online, so I guess I'll be back on the phone to them!!!
Barb

I can only imagine how you feel with these delays. I am extremely impatient when it comes to things like this. I was very lucky I ordered it on a Wed and had it in less than ten days. It may help that I live in Tenn where we have a major dell plant but I doubt that played a role. Prob just blind luck.

Screen, speed, wifi, bluetooth, overall looks..........Dell really got this one right!! Keep me posted. I'm interested in your first impressions. I'm glad I convinced my wife that I really needed this for business! :devilboy: :devilboy:

bmurphy
12-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I just spent the majority of the morning on the phone to Dell!!! in various depts. and the case and keyboard were the culprits, for both orders. I'm now on the 3rd order and they assure me that I'll have the unit in 5 days!! I'll believe it when I see the whites of the delivery guy's eyes!! at least they are still allowing me to return the x30 order (with keyboard, case and extra sync cords). I'd try to sell it but with the whole order coming to 630.( Can- that I guess is about 441. US dollars) I think that there are better US deals out there. I love the x30, but I think that I will love the x50v even more.
Barb

Fishie
12-22-2004, 03:45 AM

Barb

Compared to other VGA PPCs the screen on the x50v is crap.

ADBrown
12-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Compared to other VGA PPCs the screen on the x50v is crap.

Nonsense. The X50v's screen is beautiful.

Fishie
12-22-2004, 04:01 AM
Check the comparison pics in this thread http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630&highlight=

Jonathon Watkins
12-22-2004, 10:29 AM
IMO there should be nothing on the market that does not have the VGA screen. For the first time since 2000 when I bought my first PPC (EM500) I realize the true potential a handheld posses.

Totaly agree. Several folks that don't use PPCs have commented on that as well. VGA all the way! 8)

Jonathon Watkins
12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Check the comparison pics in this thread http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630&highlight=

Yup. I'm still happy with the X50v compared to the others. It is a very nice screen. I personally found the 4705 screen oversaturated for my taste. Photos looked 'truer' on th X50v.