View Full Version : More problems - part 10

Braaman
12-17-2004, 04:02 AM
I cannot connect to the internet via Wi-Fi! i am able to detect them, and they appear unprotected. i simply tap and hold on the server name in wififofum and tell it to connect. it goes through and i load pocket explorer and try loading something like google and it says it cannot load the selected page. i hopped on the newbs guide to war-stuff, and the author said his first major problem was that he was running over a proxy. i think that may be the case with my h4155, as it was purchased used. any idea how to reconfigure it?

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:05 AM
I doubt that because its used, you have a dodgy unit (unless the seller was a bit dodgy ;)). Anyway, do you have a home/office Wi-Fi network. Before jumping on the bandwagon and experimenting with wardriving, I'd see if you are able to establish a personal Wi-Fi connection first - that way, you know if your Wi-Fi on your device is fully functional.

Braaman
12-17-2004, 04:28 AM
The Wi-Fi on my device seems to be working fine right now. I unfortunately don't have a wireless home network. I didn't mean to say that the device is dodgy, i just meant that maybe the previous owner didn't clear out an old work proxy and that may be hanging me up. I've also read on another forum that my device should be set to connect through Work instead of Home. I've yet to try this, but I'll let you know once i do. Any other suggestions in the mean time?

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:51 AM
I didn't mean to say that the device is dodgy, i just meant that maybe the previous owner didn't clear out an old work proxy and that may be hanging me up.

Oh? I'd assume you would have hard reset the device as soon as you acquired it from the previous owner?

Braaman
12-17-2004, 05:03 AM
I guess the thought crossed my mind, but everything seemed in order. My initial idea was to update the ram and wlan drivers, but i wasn't sure i could do it without frying the thing. everything seemed to be running fine and i found no signs of the previous owner at all, save one game.

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Personally, I would have hard reset it to start "fresh". It's like starting off from a new device with the factory settings. I'm willing to bet that if all the previous owner did was uninstall the programs, there's probably heaps of leftover, unused keys in the registry. Probably some files in the Windows folder as well.

Kati Compton
12-17-2004, 05:46 AM
Moved to Wireless.

Braaman
12-17-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't have all that much set up right now in the way of contacts and the like. Should i just perform a hard reset now? (This is really noob, but it involves just holding the reset button longer and responding to a screen prompt, right?) Any other ideas what's keeping me offline?

Jorgen
12-17-2004, 09:00 PM
i am able to detect them, and they appear unprotected
Any other ideas what's keeping me offline?

As I understand your question, you are trying to connect to other peoples WLANs.

If so: it is immoral to try to log on to other peoples networks and I dobt you will find anyone here that will help you. There are a number of free WLANs with public access around. Start a new thread asking where to find those.

If I misunderstood the question: my apologies!

Jorgen

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 04:19 AM
I don't have all that much set up right now in the way of contacts and the like. Should i just perform a hard reset now? (This is really noob, but it involves just holding the reset button longer and responding to a screen prompt, right?)

I'd just hard reset it to get it back to factory defaults. You got your thoughts a little mixed up in order to hard reset the device. You have to hold the power button down and then press the soft reset button simultaneously, then release them.

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 04:27 AM
As I understand your question, you are trying to connect to other peoples WLANs. If so: it is immoral to try to log on to other peoples networks and I dobt you will find anyone here that will help you. There are a number of free WLANs with public access around. Start a new thread asking where to find those.

Yes, the point that Jorgen raises is a good one. The act of wardriving itself is not a criminal violation. All it involves is detecting the presence of wireless networks - some people do this to learn a little more about wireless networks and try to make their own more secure. However, let's take my post back to relevant discussion, if you take it one step further and attempt to gain access of the network, it itself may be a criminal violation, depending on what you do on the network. Every country (and even state for that matter) have laws pertaining to this, but as a general rule, don't try to gain access to a network if you don't have the access privileges to do so.

Jorgen
12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Anyway, there should be plenty of places in the US with free wlans. Try some legal places: search in google for example:

free-hotspots mn

and perhaps change mn to Minnesota.

Jorgen