View Full Version : Way off topic... Permanent bulb in string of Christmas lights?

Khufu1
12-16-2004, 04:18 PM
I know this is way off topic, but I consider this my "home forum" (for lack of a better term), and was hoping you folks would have some input.

I have a pre-lit GE Christmast tree that was not at all cheap. I discovered one string was out. This isn't supposed to happen as on these strings, the lights are supposed to stay lit even if a bulb is pulled. So I pull out my handy light tester (that I still don't quite understand what it means when the light is on) and find the only white bulb on the otherwise colored string. I flick it a few times and the lights come back... for a while.

Then I think, "Let's replace this bulb." And discover that it is different from all the others and won't come out. :huh: After some frustration, I look at the little sheet that comes in the bag of fuses and bulbs and it says there is one clear bulb on every string and it isn't replaceable. They even go so far as to warn not to get crafty and replace it somehow. (My first instinct was to grab my wire cutters, soldering iron, and some heat shrink tubing.)

My question:
Why put a permanent bulb on a string of lights that the rest are replaceable? What is special about the darn thing? Other than the blatant warning on the instructions, anyone see a reason I can't remove it?

Thanks in advance!
Khufu1 :)

Kati Compton
12-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Huh. If it's a serial chain that could be a sneaky way to build in failure so you have to buy another. But I have no idea. Is there a help 800 number where you can ask about your "defective" tree?

Jason Dunn
12-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow, that's crazy! We have a fake tree as well, but I got the one without the pre-done lights specifically for the reason you mention - I didn't want to have to worry about the lights going out. I don't have any suggestions for you though because I've never dealt with that. Kati's right - time to call Tree Tech Support! :)

Steven Cedrone
12-16-2004, 06:48 PM
...time to call Tree Tech Support! :)

And I hope it's Free Tree Tech Support! :wink: :)

Steve

Ryan Joseph
12-16-2004, 09:19 PM
I've always liked the look of the pre-lit trees. I think they just...look better. :) But that was always a concern of mine. If there was a problem with the lights, I'd have to replace the entire tree.

If you can't get the lights working any other way, I'd throw caution to the wind and pull out that soldering iron. :mrgreen:

Sven Johannsen
12-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Do they, or did they, blink? Does it appear that the clear bulb(s) seem to blink at the same rate as a significant number of other lights? I would guess that if those are true, the clear one is 'the flasher'. Barring some electronic device that controls flashing a typical way to do that is to have one bulb in a series that has a bimetal contact that heats up when current flows through it. That moves the contact, opening it, and letting it cool down, at which time it heats up, connects, etc. The dificult thing to determine in such a system is what voltage each of the lights work at. Rule of thumb is 110-120v / # lights in series. If there are a significant # of lights (>15), it generally doesn't hurt to just bypass one. 110v/15 lights = 7.3v per light...110v/14 lights = 7.8v per light...shoulfdn't burn out the remaining ones.

Take a good look at the clear one, does it seem like there is more stuff in there than just two supports for one filament.

Khufu1
12-17-2004, 08:04 PM
The tree isn't a blinker, but I was wondering if maybe that bulb is if you got a blinking string instead. These lights have a trick where they still work even if the bulb is removed, not only burnt out. I think this is new but I haven't been on www.holidaylightingthoughts.com in a while. Maybe that wouldn't work right with a blinker somehow? I did look and there is only one filament in the bulb. There isn't anything going on interesting in there.

Sven Johannsen
12-18-2004, 12:59 AM
Well then, normally if you can remove a bulb without the rest going out, that means they are in parallel...or there is something on in the socket itself that shorts when the bulb is removed to keep a serial set going. It may be that the clear bulb assembly provides some sort of regulation or safety feature that shouldn't be bypassed. If you do go at it with dikes and a soldering iron, do have a fire extinguisher at hand when you plug it in. ;)