View Full Version : Lancashire Police Launch Large Mobile Data Service Trial

Jonathon Watkins
12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=3797' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=3797</a><br /><br /></div><i>"O2 Airwave and Lancashire Constabulary have launched what is thought to be one of the UK's largest ever police handheld mobile data trials. Some 250 police officers and 30 support staff - the entire Lancashire Central Division - will be equipped with O2 Xda II Pocket PC from which they can access a host of information sources. In a pre-trial, the process of a missing person report was reduced from two hours to 20 minutes. It is hoped that access to mobile data will enable officers to be more efficient and effective, including spending around an hour per shift longer in the community rather than at the police station."</i><br /><br />Geekzone report that a previous trial of the system had 30 officers successfully using the system for 6 months. If this larger six month trial is successful, then the system will be deployed to over 1,500 users throughout the force. Hopefully this will be another instance whereby technology fulfils its promise to free people up to do their job more effectively. Do not underestimate the power of (wireless) Data on you side and no puns about the long (Strong)Arm of the Law please. ;-)

foebea
12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
If this takes off I am sure it will be a huge timesaving solution for the Police force, this could also enable them to save money by xscaling down some of the desk clerks who primarily worked on data cross refrencing.

Go O2!

freitasm
12-16-2004, 09:59 PM
...save money by xscaling down

New word for layoff/redundancy induced by use of technology at workplace? :rotfl:

Paragon
12-16-2004, 10:05 PM
...save money by xscaling down

New word for layoff/redundancy induced by use of technology at workplace? :rotfl:

Better that then to be "Jornadaed" altogether. ;)

Dave

freitasm
12-16-2004, 10:23 PM

Completely OT, but I've visited London, Ontario few years ago. Nice place, but quite cold in early January. Guess wasn't the most touristic time of the year :wink:

Paragon
12-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Nice place, but quite cold in early January. :wink:.......and December, and February, and March.....:)

Be sure to look me up if you're ever back. Mrs. Paragon, and all the little Paragons would be glad to put some warm food in your belly. ;)

Dave

Jonathon Watkins
12-17-2004, 12:44 AM
One Big Happy Global comumunity! :grouphug:

Nice one Foebea. Xscaled down - I'll remember that one. :lol:

Jonathon Watkins
12-17-2004, 12:52 AM
OK, so no-one got:

"The Law fought Activesync and Activesync won"? :devilboy:

Paragon
12-17-2004, 01:01 AM
OK, so no-one got:

I miss my baby and I feel so sad
I fought the law and the law won........Thanks Jonathon! Now I can't get that song out of head...and the law one....see!

Dave

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:18 AM

:rotfl:

Oh dear... Flashbacks.... :P