View Full Version : 4150 + 1GB SD card (which card are u guys using?)

Tripz
12-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Well, it's about that time, i currently have a lexar 256MB SD card non high speed and i'm tired of deleting files just to free up space for new files. While this card has been good, iam now looking at getting a 1GB card. here are my choices and questions...

1)Lexar 1GB high-speed 32X SD
2)Kodak 1GB 10MB/sec SD
3)Sandisk 1GB
4)PQI 1GB SD card

I'll be using the card for mainly music and videos. with all these high and higher speed cards on the market, will i notice a difference between them? I mean, isn't there a limit to what the 4150 unit itself will read/write at? and lastly, what kind of 1GB SD cards are u guys using? any quick reviews?

Thanks!

Ultima
12-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Just a heads up, every single Kodak SD and CF card I've seen recently is just a repackaged Lexar brand card. Says so on the back of the box, lower left hand corner I believe. Here's an article backing it up:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/extra/kodak/05182449P52_business.shtml

I have not seen a 10MB/sec card from them though, but Lexar rates 1x to be 150Kb/sec, so a 32X lexar would be 4.8MB/sec. That Kodak card should be faster, something like a 60x equivilant, which I have seen floating around.

I use a "normal speed" Lexar 1GB card on my iPaq, works fine, does the job, hasn't lost data yet... none of my lexar cards have, unlike Sandisk where I've lost data on a card twice. Sandisk is the devil, stay away. :)

shawnc
12-16-2004, 01:00 PM
I've only used Sandisk (128MB, 256MB, 1G CF, 1G SD) and have not encountered any problems.

Darius Wey
12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Purchasing a high-speed card will in a sense safeguard you in the future in case you ever need to use the card on other peripherals (e.g. digital camera). Generally, you will notice a performance boost by opting for a higher speed card over a normal one. But that's not to say a normal card doesn't do the job. Among my collection, I have two standard 256MB SD cards. Sure, they might not be high-performance ones but for the purposes of playing audio files and storing my e-books and documents, it does the job fine. However, focussing on high-speed 1GB cards: I also have 2x Silicon Power 1GB 45X Ultima SD Cards. I've not compared this with the high-speed cards made by other manufacturers yet. However, it's worth noting that Silicon Power believe in their cards so much that they're even offering a lifetime warranty on their cards - that's nothing to complain about. ;-) I'm not sure if they're available in the US though (I assume they are, but perhaps over the internet as opposed to retail stores).

Mexico
12-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Lexar 1GB SD Card. Don't know the speed, I just know it was decently priced ($71 at Sam's Club). Works fine.

M

Andy Whiteford
12-17-2004, 12:24 AM
I went from a standard 256mb Lexar the same as you to a Kingmax Platinum 1gb SD. The extra space is great although these isn't much to notice in day to day performance - where I did notice a big increase was in transferring a copy of the previous SD card to the new 1gb one via my hard disk, it was much faster in copying over and I have also copied a couple of movies onto the new card via a card reader and the speed increase is very noticeable. The Kingmax Platinum is rated at 60x.

squeeze
12-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Panasonic 512MB, purchased for $199 about a year ago....flawless...

Tripz
12-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the info guys :!:

Interesting, i do remember someone telling me that Lexar merged with kodak. Lexar has cards made in Japan and the US. (My 256MB card says "made in japan " while the lexar card i was looking at today says "made in the USA")

i saw the kodak listed here, under 1GB SD cards:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_flash.asp

Lifetime warranty from the silicon power cards is nice but i cannot find anywhere local that has them here. I've seen the sandisk's @ 5 year warranty's while Lexar offers 1 year i believe. However, i do not know anyone who's SD card shorted out or became un-useable due to manufactoring.
The other 2 high speed cards i've seen at local shops are the
-ATP 60 X SD and the Kingmax 60 X SD, both at good prices.

Now the kingmax, i've read alot of mixed reviews. most of the positive ones came from Digital camera users but i found an interesting one here, from a fellow ipaq user...
http://gregkeene.typepad.com/h6315/2004/11/three_leading_s.html

I still have my sights set on the Lexar 32X 1GB card but haven't came across much reviews. and those "faster" cards are pretty tempting @ those prices. I guess we'll see this week! I need to get a 1 Gig! :D

GSC_
12-20-2004, 10:19 PM
I have been using a san disk 512 for about a year, non-hi speed. Its ok but it does seem a little sluggish when pulling up a large dirctory tree or anything like that.

About a month ago I also decided to upgrade and bought a PQI 1 GIG card for $44. I am totally impressed, directory listings are instant. And its supposed to be the lower speed card too. I highly recomend the PQI cards, and I am using a ipaq 4155

Tripz
12-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Although i've never seen/heard of them b4 i started my search for a good 1 GB sd, i've read nothing but good things about the PQI cards... But when i saw them in a local flyer on sale for $99cdn, my only gripes about them were...(and i know that looks shouldn't be an issue over performance) ....were that they're frikken PURPLE and i asked myself; who the hell is PQI?? never heard of them b4... :mrgreen:

Andy Whiteford
12-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Weird about the perfomance on the Pocket PC - no idea why that is although in reality with small files files you are unlikely to notice any difference when actually using the card as opposed to benchmarking. It is a great price when considering what you are getting and the card reader tests show it is a great perfomer. I am tempted to try that benchmark for myself!

GSC_
12-22-2004, 07:00 PM
yep the pqi card is purple, not a big deal if you ask me.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-214-208&depa=0

Like I said fryes had them for the same price, but with a $20 mail-in rebate, making my total cost for this card $44