View Full Version : Which Task Switcher for PPC?

12-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Coming back to Pocket PC finally... My Axim came with a Task Switcher, but now my SX66 doesn't seem to have one built in. What's the best Task Switcher for Pocket PC?

Newton 200 > Palm Pilot Pro > Sony Clie > Dell Axim X5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Siemens SX66

Darius Wey
12-16-2004, 04:34 AM
There are a number of them out there. Spb Pocket Plus or Wisbar Advance are by far the most widely used.

Other solutions out there include SmallMenu, Switch, TaskSwitch+, TaskSwitcher, vBar, MortRunner, GigaBar, Magic Button, among others. Hopefully, these are a few programs that will get you started. ;)

Kati Compton
12-16-2004, 05:55 AM
I like Wisbar Advance - I purchased the newest one (an older version is still free).

MleB
10-08-2005, 02:00 AM
I like the freebie Magic Button - plus it enables the X to actually shut down the program, not just minimize it.

Jeff NYC
10-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi:

Don't mean to be any trouble, new guy here and all, but can someone please post a link for Wisbar Advance? Many thanks...

Nurhisham Hussein
10-27-2005, 01:50 AM
http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com

The official release is kinda old - you can get the latest betas in the forum. While you're at it, have a look at Wisbar Advance Desktop as well. It's an amazing piece of software, and is very near to its first release.

Jeff NYC
10-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Very cool... thanks for the help and link.

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Magic button isnt compatible with PPCPEs

Sunny

rhmorrison
01-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I know what a PPC is but WTH is a PPCCPE :?:

Nurhisham Hussein
01-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Pocket PC Phone Edition

Janak Parekh
01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
How isn't it compatible? I'm using Magic Button with my JasJar right now.

--janak

p.s. You may have noticed this was an old thread, at least 3 months old (and the original post much older than that). This likely means that the original poster and repliers had solved their problem. Unless you feel the original thread didn't answer the question at hand, it's best to point these things out in a newer thread that is currently under discussion. Let's try to avoid digging out old threads that may now have inaccurate information as software evolves. Thanks. :)

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I too tried magic button a month ago. But as you said in other thread that u frequently tap-n-hold to launch and exist magic button, it goes OK.
My Point: Consider a situation in which u have left the magic button on in the background. Now you receive a message. Since, you have magic button on, it wont show you the 'message' icon.

Similary, you can imagine a case of missed call. When you will have a missed call, it wont show you the icon.
This is why I said it is not compatible with PPCPEs Again, not all of us relauch and then again exit the application. We like to run the task managers in the background

Example: I use wisbar advance 2. So, it greatly helps me to switch between the apps. But when the work is done, I dont 'exit' the application. This is exactly 'most' of us do(we leave it running)(and not 'exit' it(like u))

p.s:AFA 'old' thread is concerned, I think replies to them help the people who are browsing 'that' particular forum. One may not like to give a birth to a new thread just to tell something 'normal'

Lets keep things friendly :)

Sunny

Janak Parekh
01-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Similary, you can imagine a case of missed call. When you will have a missed call, it wont show you the icon.
This is why I said it is not compatible with PPCPEs Again, not all of us relauch and then again exit the application. We like to run the task managers in the background
Except, that's not true. The position of the home icon can be shifted to allow the notification bubble to show or can be hidden. By default, in fact, it's hidden so that it doesn't impede the UI. "Incompatible" has a very specific meaning, implying that it will not work. It works just fine and does not overlap PPCPE's notification icons if used properly. I like the fact that it's lightweight -- it has less of a performance effect -- especially with WM5.

Example: I use wisbar advance 2. So, it greatly helps me to switch between the apps. But when the work is done, I dont 'exit' the application. This is exactly 'most' of us do(we leave it running)(and not 'exit' it(like u))
Magic Button lets you set the default action to be either Smart Minimize or Close, and lets you set individual exceptions for applications whose behavior you want to differ. And, it's not true that "most" people necessarily want to use Smart Minimize. Ed wrote a substantial article (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13460) on the subject.

p.s:AFA 'old' thread is concerned, I think replies to them help the people who are browsing 'that' particular forum. One may not like to give a birth to a new thread just to tell something 'normal'
Why not? If there's something specific you want to contribute and you feel it's a significant addition, okay, but the problem is that software often changes in functionality and compability, and responding to an old thread can be confusing. As a result most people just avoid opening old threads altogether.

Lets keep things friendly :)
I've been perfectly civil in my discussion, but that doesn't mean we have to agree on everything.

--janak