View Full Version : Will this mic work with a 4705? ANYONE PLEASE???

Tye
12-15-2004, 11:30 PM
I've posted this around the PPC forums here and there and not received so much as a single answer.

Does anyone know if this mic or some equivalent will work in a 4705:
http://www.minidisco.com/sp-mmm1.html

I have heard that the 4705 has a mic line in but don't know what kind of connectors I'm looking for or if I can just plug the mic straight into the jack.
Also, has anyone used *any* type of external mic with their 4705? If so, did it help?
I will only be using it to record lectures and meetings.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for any answers or advice...

Jason Dunn
12-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I wish I had a 4700 so I could help you out, but HP doesn't like me anymore. :-( There's no reason why it shouldn't work...

mscdex
12-16-2004, 01:09 AM
I looked at the HP site for the specs on the 4705 and (looking at the full detail specs) it doesn't say anything about having a mic jack, just that it has an integrated mic and a headphone jack.

But I don't know if it's just me or what but they do say, "3.5 mm stereo headphone/headset jack." So if by headset they mean headphones with a mic attached, or not, which is generally what a headset is.

OSUKid7
12-16-2004, 01:11 AM
I wish I had a 4700 so I could help you out, but HP doesn't like me anymore. :-(A little bitter are we? ;)

I just tried my old desktop mirophone on my 4705, and it didn't seem to work. :( Even with it plugged in, the internal microphone was recording instead of the external one I had attached.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Um...whoops. I was thinking of the X50v - I didn't realize the 4700 didn't have that. I checked HP's site and they don't mention the headphone jack as being able to serve as a microphone port. So I really don't know...sorry.

Darius Wey
12-16-2004, 04:12 AM
I will only be using it to record lectures and meetings.

I don't have an hx4705 either so I'm not 100% sure of its microphone port capabilities (if it has it). But if your intention is to record lectures and meetings, the integrated one works reasonably well. You need to configure the Audio settings on your iPAQ, but once that's all sorted, it doesn't work too badly. Of course, with an external microphone, you could get better quality, but the integrated one will serve the purpose if all else fails.

Sven Johannsen
12-16-2004, 06:25 AM
I would say no, that mic won't work. The Toshiba 800 series, the HP 4700, and the Dell x50v seem to have the same mic/headphone capability/arrangement. That is a four contact connector. That mic may...just may...work with the pc-mobile, headset/microphone splitter cable they sell for the Toshiba/4700.

Tye
12-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. All these opinions are the reason it's been such a difficult search.

I have heard over and over again that the 4705 has some sort of 4 contact connector but nobody seems to nkow if a standard mic will work. Apparently HP thought it might be useful for VOIP type stuff. I guess I'll buy the mic and keep looking for some sort of an adapter. Maybe Radio Shack has something like this.

Darius, I just finished my fall semester and used the built in mic for recording lectures. It works when the prof is nearby but if they turned their back then all I got was lots of static. I'm hoping some higher quality external mic will help. However, I don't want a huge standard mic (that might seem a little too overbearing).
It works well in meetings except when we're doing round table and using a speakerphone. Then the recordings get really hard to understand.

Jason, for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision regarding HP. Damn, I really need to subscribe to PPCT. Very soon, I promise.

Sven, thanks for the advice. I'll look into that cable...

Any more advice still appreciated. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Guys!

Sven Johannsen
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Sven, thanks for the advice. I'll look into that cable...!

Specifically that is the PTAMS you can see at http://www.pc-mobile.net/toshiba.htm

I may have been mistaken on the iPaq model. They also have http://www.pc-mobile.net/pqtaa.htm which works on the Toshiba e75/e80 the 54/55 ipaqs, and I can attest that it, and the splitter above, work on my X50v.

So I will retract the inference that the 4700 has a mic jack. At least from my knowledge.

Menneisyys
12-23-2004, 11:14 AM
I would say no, that mic won't work. The Toshiba 800 series, the HP 4700, and the Dell x50v seem to have the same mic/headphone capability/arrangement. That is a four contact connector. That mic may...just may...work with the pc-mobile, headset/microphone splitter cable they sell for the Toshiba/4700.

Indeed it does. Check out http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110544 - a very informative thread on the subject.