View Full Version : Music on PPC

thechrisjung
12-14-2004, 05:09 AM
Just wondering what music player (mp3) everyone uses for the ppc. Are there any out there that syncs with desktop players (like itunes/winamp) so you can send files from the desktop application. Itunes lets u search for songs really easily and it would be cool if you can send songs directly from there w/o having to find all the files in mycomputer manually and copy and pasting them to your ppc. It would also be cool if you could send entire playlists of songs from your desktop to the ppc.
Are there any applications this powerful for music on the ppc?

Darius Wey
12-14-2004, 05:42 AM
Itunes lets u search for songs really easily and it would be cool if you can send songs directly from there w/o having to find all the files in mycomputer manually and copy and pasting them to your ppc. It would also be cool if you could send entire playlists of songs from your desktop to the ppc.

We posted (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33970)on ppcTunes a while ago that basically allows you to synchronise your iTunes playlists from your PC to Pocket PC. Well worth checking out. :)

thechrisjung
12-14-2004, 06:54 AM
THX! for 9.95 its worth a try.

nic
12-14-2004, 11:06 PM
This is the system I use (BTW: i would really recommend Voice Commander from Microsoft. It is great if you listen to music a lot on your pocket pc!)

I rip all my music files to .MP3 format on my hard drive (normally 192kbps VBR). By the time they make it to my Pocket PC i like them around 80kbps WMA files. Best way I've figured out how to do this, is in Winamp I make a playlist using the library and save it as a .pls file. Then I fire up dbPowerAmp Music Converter, point it to the .pls file, and save it to a specific location.

My music on my desktop has a file format like:
<artist> - <cd title> - <track #> - <track title>.mp3
or
Radiohead - OK Computer - 02 - Paranoid Android.mp3

I just wan tthe artist and the track title on my pocket pc like:
Radiohead - Paranoid Android.wma

for easy browsing.
Best tool I use for that is Tag&Rename. Run that over the folder I have all my compressed WMA files. Once that is done, copy all the file onto my device and enjoy!

I think iTunes may be able to export or save a .pls file. I'm not sure, if it is a Winamp only thing or not. But it saves me from looking for individual files.

What I would REALLY like is some more automation in the above processes, AND a type of "flowing" music through my pocket pc on sync's. It would be cool if it went off my most played of favorite Winamp songs. Basically my pocket pc detects when I skip songs and marks the song with some kind of negative score. Then when I'm syncing, if it sees that there is some song on my computer i've been playing a lot lately, it will convert that song over and copy it to my device in place of a song with a large negative score (from me skipping). Then, the music on my pocket pc would naturally evolve with what I'm currently listening to at home.

Maybe I should just come up with the software and plug-ins to do all of this.

-nic

FrozenIpaq
12-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Note: Favortie MP3 player for my PPC is PocketMusic by far, i love it having the winamp skins, equalizer, PM skin, landscape skin, so many options, overall great, no desktop sync tho, i don mind it