View Full Version : Connecting Nokia 6800 to my Toshiba E355

bluec
12-14-2004, 01:31 AM
I just got my data cable for my nokia 6800 in the mail, and when I goto connect it to the usb host cable for my pda, it asks for a driver.

So heres the problem, how do I go by getting this driver onto my pda?

I really only want to use my phone as a modem (GPRS), so what driver could I put on my pda to make that work?

Darius Wey
12-14-2004, 03:19 AM
I just got my data cable for my nokia 6800 in the mail, and when I goto connect it to the usb host cable for my pda, it asks for a driver.

So heres the problem, how do I go by getting this driver onto my pda?

I really only want to use my phone as a modem (GPRS), so what driver could I put on my pda to make that work?

That's a tough one. Within that chunky USB attachment is a set of gizmos that require a driver to be recognised, and thus function properly. As far as I'm aware, this will only function on your PC (Windows) since Nokia have only released drivers for it in the form of the Nokia PC Suite (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,54690,00.html). From there, if you want your device to function as a modem, you have to download the additional modem drivers for your specific phone model. So as far as I can see, it's either PC or nothing else. Some enthusiasts may spend some time engineering their own drivers which work on the Pocket PC, but it's going to be tough searching for them I think.

manywhere
12-14-2004, 09:46 AM
The problem is that you can not use the driver designed for desktop Windows on your Pocket PC either.

But, why do you not try using the infrared for communication between your Pocket PC and Nokia phone? :?

bluec
12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
The problem is that you can not use the driver designed for desktop Windows on your Pocket PC either.

But, why do you not try using the infrared for communication between your Pocket PC and Nokia phone? :?I had trouble with that... how do you correctly set that up?

Darius Wey
12-16-2004, 04:36 AM
I had trouble with that... how do you correctly set that up?

The Nokia phones and Pocket PCs don't communicate well with each other (by default) via IR. You'd need some sort of program that will allow the two devices to interface. Here's a recent thread which discusses this: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35373