View Full Version : Ipaq H1940 f***up

the_fire_starter
12-14-2004, 12:39 AM
I'll try and keep this short, ask for details as you need em. I was using a radioshack minijack to regular headphone jack adapter wich is vertical not like the hp one. The tip of it broke off in side. I tried to get it out with a pin and pushed it deep. Now when shaken it hard resets although i CAN now use headphones again. And stupid HP tech support says I'll need to replace the board if i send it away, 250$!!!! Thanks for any help. I might try and dissassemble it myself.

*Subject edited by PL

Typhoon
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
lol

Ripper014
12-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Sounds like a good/bad idea... but if you choose the route to open it... there are some guides on the net... find one before you start. I hear that many people break clips when they first open them.

emuelle1
12-14-2004, 12:49 AM
http://www.ipaqparts.com/ipaqparts1900.htm

That's the available parts list from PDA Smart for the 1900 series. IF you send it to them, they will probably be able to fix it much cheaper than HP. Send them an email and see what they recommend.

capo
12-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Or avoid shaking it hard...

the_fire_starter
12-14-2004, 12:55 AM
I wish that were an option (not shaking it hard) but having it in my pocket is enough to make it reset. I can't find any guides either so I guess if you guys have got suggestions for places to buy new pda's/which pda's give me all your suggestions.

Ultima
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Sounds like that metal tip on the inside is causing an electrical short in the PDA. I have two observations from the posts:

1. Since it sounds like it's that metal tip thats causing the short, opening it and removing that errant tip should return the iPaq back to normal operation. I doubt anything has been perminantly damaged.
2. If you're resolved to buying another PDA already, why not TRY opening it and taking out the tip without a guide? It should be OK as long as you don't get hasty and force something. The best that can happen? A fully functional iPaq... The worst that can happen? You were going to buy a new one anyway, right?

TheOrange
12-14-2004, 09:55 PM
This might be a VERY stupid suggestion, but its the first that pops in my head. What if you took something long and narrow enough to reach the trapped piece, carefully apply just a little superglue to the very tip (no the sides) and try to recover it?

I mean, worst case scenario is that you have something new stuck inside your PDA. And since it may have to go in for repair, what's the difference between removing one foreign object or two? Especially if they are glued together?

Disclaimer:
I am in no way responsible for my own advice, seeing as how I am probably the only one dumb enough to attempt it.

Kati Compton
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
So, here's what *I* would do, but no guarantees provided.

I'd open it myself and try to get the piece out.

If that didn't work, or I broke it, I'd buy a new one and say "well, I was going to have to spend $250 to get it fixed anyway" and try not to feel bad.

Another option might be to send it to PPC Techs to see if they would get the piece out. Maybe they'd throw that part in for free if you wanted to get a memory upgrade. Spend $99 (current sale price) and get upgraded to 128MB RAM and have the thing removed instead of spending $250 to have HP do it.

the_fire_starter
12-16-2004, 03:05 AM
Hahahaha. So I picked up my PDA tonight because i was going to go to the local tech store where they have screwdrivers to take it apart and...There's no sound of something slidding around inside. To make sure I shake it around as hard as I possibly can and still doesn't reset. Only problem is my battery is drained. So my PPC is completely back to normal without me doing a THING. Hooray for Christmas and coincidences! :D

Kati Compton
12-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Hey - that's an even better deal. ;) Congrats.

Mexico
12-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I would still advice to get it fixed, but I guess that depends on how much you rely on your Pocket PC. The way I use mine, I'd be constantly freaked out that the thing would die in the middle of the day without having been synchronized.

You can buy a set of screwdrivers for about $15 at Radio Shack and give it a go. I just recently opened my h2215 to troubleshoot the speaker, and it wasn't hard at all. I don't know how hard the 1940 is to open, but the info available on the way can give you a good idea.

Good luck!

M

the_fire_starter
12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
So it turns out my luck didn't last long, before the night was over that I "fixed" it. I unfixed it :(. I checked at radioshack and a guy said you can't buy those in stores you need to get them from like an IT place or something. I'll probably take the screws out at this computer store thats got a set bring it home to figure out then when I do then bring it back to screw together.

Mexico
12-17-2004, 09:35 PM
The guy at Radio Shack was just following the good ol' tradition of not knowing crap. Did you ask for the individual screwdriver or for the set? Cuz they only have it as part of a set. I usually look for stuff myself first, and if I don't find it, then I ask them. Anywho, the set I'm talking about includes 10 or so different tips, including the one needed to open the 2215. I don't know what kind of tip the 1900 series needs, but I'm 99.9% sure it's included in that set. Good luck again!

M

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 04:11 AM
I don't know what kind of tip the 1900 series needs, but I'm 99.9% sure it's included in that set. Good luck again!

To best describe it on a forum, it's a small six-pointed star-shaped tip. :wink:

TheOrange
12-18-2004, 04:47 AM
aren't those called torx drivers? I have a few - bought 'em at Fry's Electronics. If you have one near you, its worth the trip. :)

the_fire_starter
12-18-2004, 09:22 AM
So in an end to all this tragedy I bought a set of Mini torx and other screwdrivers for 10$ CAD from radioshack Thanks Mexico!!! (which I will end up returning) so this cost me all of 5 minutes and 0$ thanks to you guys!!!. Only problem left I have is either finding 2.5mm headphones or a 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone hack converter, and the one that radioshack is NOT an option, I need one that is NOT veritcal. If you know any suppliers preferabbly in Canada please tell. thanks!!!