View Full Version : ipaq 3850 wont hard reset

oilisab
12-12-2004, 06:45 AM
i have read like 3 tutorials in how to reset my 3850 ipaq
but it wotn reset

i have tried many many dif combinatios like pressing first the soft reset button then the other 2 function buttons and viceversa.
also pressing one function button then the other then the soft resetn button and viceversa

i also have stood like 2 minutes pressing the 3 buttons at the same time
and the result is nothing

NOTHING. It wont hard reset

what can i do??

Darius Wey
12-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Which function buttons are you pressing? In the case of the 3850, you will need to hold the two outermost right and left buttons, and then using the stylus, push and hold it in the soft reset button, and then wait until the screen fades away (completely). You should also remove any memory cards and expansion packs if you have them inserted into your device. Does that work?

oilisab
12-13-2004, 12:05 AM
already did that like a hundred of times
it didnt work

Darius Wey
12-13-2004, 04:40 AM
Have you tried removing your battery, and leaving the device overnight to "waste away"? Come back the next morning, insert the battery again, and see if it has reset itself.

ctmagnus
12-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Sounds like the problem I'm having with my 5550. Does the soft-reset button perfom a soft-reset when pressed? 'Cuz mine doesn't.

Dazbot
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Have you tried removing your battery, and leaving the device overnight to "waste away"? Come back the next morning, insert the battery again, and see if it has reset itself.

The 3850 doesn't have a removable battery unless you fancy opening it up with a torx 6 screwdriver and pulling the battery cable out (remember to release the clip first)

I wouldn't let the battery go flat, that won't do it much good.

oilisab
12-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Sounds like the problem I'm having with my 5550. Does the soft-reset button perfom a soft-reset when pressed? 'Cuz mine doesn't.

yes it resets

ctmagnus
12-14-2004, 03:01 AM
Have you tried a self test?

Start -> Settings -> System tab -> SelfTest

oilisab
12-16-2004, 09:29 PM
what for?

FrozenIpaq
12-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Try these instructions if you still have the problem, Hold down the two outer buttons itask and calander i think, and hold the stylus in the reset area and wait a few seconds with all held until the backlight is off and then turn you ppc back on.

ctmagnus
12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
what for?

The self test is to make sure the buttons work the way they're supposed to.

---

I'm sure there're other utilities that do this out there, but Dinarsoft's HandyMenu (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=11139) lets you do a hard-reset through a menu interface. I have the cab installer for it on my SD card for when I have to do a hard-reset, seeing as how my reset button doesn't work worth a darn at the monent.

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:30 AM
The 3850 doesn't have a removable battery unless you fancy opening it up with a torx 6 screwdriver and pulling the battery cable out (remember to release the clip first)

Good point. I forget that that model didn't have a removable battery. Oh how times have changed. ;)

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:32 AM
i also have stood like 2 minutes pressing the 3 buttons at the same time
and the result is nothing

What exactly is the problem you're having? If you can't power on the unit, you may have to press the soft reset button after you initiate the hard reset sequence. Does that work?