View Full Version : Disappointed with all the DVD to PPC tools out there...

Fedorov
12-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Only had my hx4700 a couple of weeks now. I've since tried ALL the conversion programs available and have been very disappointed with what I've seen so far - poor interfaces, buggy, don't uninstall properly (I'm a developer myself btw).

Hats off to PocketDivXEncoder not only for being FREE but for actually being able to convert many different formats to my PPC and in a very simple way. :)

Fedorov.

Darius Wey
12-11-2004, 04:05 AM
Certainly. If you know what you're doing, you can certainly make do without many of those user-friendly DVD to PPC applications. XMPEG and PDE do the job quite well.

Ripper014
12-11-2004, 08:53 AM
I don't think you can make it much easier than DvD Studio... the only problem is the last few releases do not seem to work. Try version 1.26 I think it can still found at their site.

Otherwise there is always the old way... you will have a lot more control over your final product... but you do need to know what you are doing... and you will need to do it with more than one application.

JayM
12-12-2004, 08:44 AM
I don't think you can make it much easier than DvD Studio...

I agree...DVD Studio is great (I've had no problems with versions). I've even ripped DVD's for playback on my regular TV with it. It takes a long time, but they look and sound great.

Vially
12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm using everyday PocketDivXEncoder, it has its problems, but once you're accustomed with it you can do pretty much everything you need to convert your movies to PPC.

Fedorov
12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Yup, just done my first one, very easy and works a treat!

What are the "issues" you have Vially, any good tips for all of us please?

Thanks, Fedorov.

Vially
12-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, sometimes the output movie has sound only until a third of the movie, then it's blank. I don't know yet if it's the combination of XviD and ogg, or anything else, but usually it works ok the second time. Something may be wrong with some codecs, I don't know exactly if it's my comp or the prog, will check that.

Fedorov
12-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Update: I read an article about the latest version 2.2 of NERO Recode at http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=11764

Tried it and bought it immediately!!!!

It has profiles for "Portable" devices where it automatically limits the size of the movie to 352x144 maximum.

I've just done 2 movies which were about 2hrs long and it took 40mins for each - add another 10mins on if you do 2-pass - the quality is amazing, and no sound sync problems either!

Really easy, you tick "Fit to Target" and then just enter something like 250mb as max file size and away it goes :)

Fedorov.