View Full Version : Hotspots - iPAQ still wont redirect to web page

guitareth
12-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I posted before about this, but as nobody has been able to help so far (on here or any other forums) am trying again, and giving more information.

I have an HP iPAQ H4350 pocket PC running Windows mobile 2003. When you're in the range of most public wireless hotspots, and you select to connect to an available network, for paid hotspots your device's web browser should be automatically redirected to the hotspot provider's web page so you can login, or get info on their services, or find out how to buy time etc.

However, whenever I've been in public hotspots (including airports) with my iPAQ 4350 ,whilst the sniffer has alerted me to the availability of the hotspots (eg BT Openzone, T-Mobile etc), and I've then successfully connected to the network, pocket Internet Explorer has never once been automatically redirected to the appropriate web page for the hotspot provider. Via the HP forums, owners of a 4350, a 4700, and a 5550 have all confirmed to me that their device DOES do this, so I figured something must be wrong with my device.

After many posts to several pocket PC forums, eventually someone alerted me to similar problem posted on an HP forum. A guy had resolved this issue on his iPAQ 5550 by reinstalling the Jeode VM software that came on the disk with his iPAQ. He claimed that the Java VM software was the thing that was needed as otherwise "it couldn't run the Java script normally used to direct you to and connect you to the provider". I don't know if he's strictly correct about that, but certainly when he reinstalled Jeode all was fine again.

However, the H4350 does not come with this Jeode program on its CD, and the program is not otherwise available as a free download. (I'd buy it if I was sure it would resolve my problems, but dont want to spend $30 or so and then find it makes no difference).

Anyway, I clearly should not really have to install such software add-ons. Does anyone here have the technical knowledge to confirm just what part of the OS or browser is responsible for allowing the hotspot provider's network to automatically redirect PIE to their homepage - or can anyone suggest a solution for this, as it's doing my head in!

Also, if anyone is willing to send me a copy of the Jeode program that comes on the CD with certain iPAQs, please PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address - and I'll be eternally grateful!!.

Cheers
Gareth