View Full Version : Ripping w/WMP 10. Foolish/basic Question

shawnc
12-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Can I rip directly from a CD to my SD card in WMP 10 (or any version for that matter). It has been a while since I've created new music and I'm not having much success. I ripped about 15 xmas songs onto my 128MB SD card only to find that I can't play the tunes either on my laptop or my ipaq. Something about an unsupported file format (or something along those lines). Why is everything with MS and music so d*&n hard :evil: :evil: :evil: !?!?

If memory serves, I think I have to rip to a folder on my laptop and then sync? No, that can't be right. Maybe I have to rip to my laptop and then I can copy/paste to my SD card?

Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated. BTW, I did a search prior to asking the question.

Thanx,

Jason Dunn
12-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah, you should rip to your hard drive then drag and drop the files over. Ripping to removable media, or even across a network, is risky because the device you're saving the file to doesn't always have the sustained bandwidth to create a proper file. The files you ripped to SD are probably corrupted.

famousdavis
12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
With my new X50v, I, too, am rediscovering the art of ripping music. What I've learned is that if you rip to your harddrive, then use WMP to sync, you get all the nice metadata moved over with your songs, which would include things like album art and info on the album itself. Doing a straight copy/paste (from your harddisk to your SD card) wouldn't transfer over that metadata (unless, I suppose, you knew where to go to get that metadata and where to put it on your SD card).

shawnc
12-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanx guys. I'll give it a shot but this should work. I kind of remember something along those lines :) :D .

Darius Wey
12-11-2004, 04:11 AM
I'd definitely follow what Jason is saying, but if I may ask, what file format are you ripping to?