View Full Version : Ebay & accepting International Orders?????

q-live
12-10-2004, 09:02 AM
I want to start excepting international orders instead to have a wider variety of people. The only thing is i notice a lot of people that sell on ebay dont like international orders or say email them for questions. Also paypal have this issue where they take payments from overseas but they dont insure it if the credit card is wrong or anything else happens to it. So what the hidden secrets about selling internationally??????

q-live
12-19-2004, 08:14 AM
:) :D

Jason Dunn
12-20-2004, 08:37 PM
I happen to be selling something via eBay to someone in Italy right now, so I can speak to this: it's just a pain in the ass. If you get someone who doesn't want to pay the shipping costs, things can get ugly. It's easy enough to estimate shipping costs within North America, but when you say you'll sell internationally, shipping costs can get very high. In my case, this guy in Italy won the auction for my item, and I went to the post office to get him a shipping quote, he's now complaining that the shipping prices are too high.

In generally I'd say to avoid dealing with people outside North America unless your item is very small and you can post the actual shipping cost in your auction - that will scare off the cheapskates who aren't willing to pay for shipping.

Jason Dunn
12-20-2004, 08:40 PM
And speaking of eBay, look at this auction listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=4345479258

Gee, 500 point font that'll make it sell FOR SURE! :roll:

emuelle1
12-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Uh, I like, uh, don't buy stuff that causes me to have to scroll sideways for each and every line.

Not that I'm in the market for one of those things anyway.

maximus
12-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Generally speaking, If you choose to ship internationally, make sure that you only send the merchandize once the money is in your account.

And speaking of eBay, look at this auction listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=4345479258

Gee, 500 point font that'll make it sell FOR SURE! :roll:

Stay on topic please :)

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 07:49 AM

Not really. It still has to do with eBay. :)

maximus
12-22-2004, 03:36 PM

Not really. It still has to do with eBay. :)

Killjoy :p

bigkingfun
12-22-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm in Canada and I ship internationally quite often (Europe, Japan, Australia mainly). I've never had a problem, but I always calculate my shipping costs ahead of time and post them in the auction. They can be relatively high, so if they're in the auction listing and someone bids, they can't complain later on. I also make it clear that it can take 3-4 weeks to arrive if sent by regular surface mail. Most people will pay the extra for air mail if they want it faster.

I also always include tracking in my shipping cost so I can prove exactly when it was shipped if there is a problem later on. I just include this in the international shipping cost on the auction listing.

In my experience, it has paid for me to sell internationally. I've sold a number of my retired PPCs to people in Europe and Australia, at prices that almost paid for my new ones.

JackTheTripper
12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
<------ In US and will only shipt to US

Why? 2 reasons...

Shipped to canada once. Item sold for about $12 U.S. and shipping wasn't too bad. 4 months later FedEx contacts me and says I owe them $18 for customs. I couldn't locate the buyer so I was out money.

Some a-hole in France bids on my item even though it said US only. I try to work with him and sell to him anyway. FedEx shipping says it's gonna be $45+ to ship. (Again, Item was around $12) He throws a fit and leaves negative feedback. At the time I didn't know I could contact ebay and have his feedback removed.

jbachandouris
12-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I sold an Ipaq 5455 to an overseas buyer. I had questions about whether or not to ship, since the buyer wanted it shipped to a country not 'approved' by Paypal. I asked Paypal customer service if I should ship and they said yes. One month later, they charge me back $680 since the buyer, from Indonesia, used an unauthorized credit card. He even went so far as to send an email, made to look like Paypal's, ordering me to ship him the item. Even though Paypal did indeed ask me to ship, they still charged me back. One year later, and its finally paid off (since Paypal sent me to collections).

So bottom line, if you choose to sned overseas, only shipped to a confirmed address and avoid credit cards. Or just don't do it!

q-live
12-31-2004, 03:25 AM
hope u didnt pay fedex..... hell they should of charged the person you sent it to .... not you... they just woulda been out of money

<------ In US and will only shipt to US

Why? 2 reasons...

Shipped to canada once. Item sold for about $12 U.S. and shipping wasn't too bad. 4 months later FedEx contacts me and says I owe them $18 for customs. I couldn't locate the buyer so I was out money.

Some a-hole in France bids on my item even though it said US only. I try to work with him and sell to him anyway. FedEx shipping says it's gonna be $45+ to ship. (Again, Item was around $12) He throws a fit and leaves negative feedback. At the time I didn't know I could contact ebay and have his feedback removed.