View Full Version : any success connecting axim via bluetooth to Nokia 6820 as a dial up modem on cingular?

urologyhealth
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Has anyone successfully connected a PDA with bluetooth like the Dell Axim X30 and a Nokia 6820 (used as a modem) to the internet? I was able to do it easily on ATT, but now my phone on CINGULAR doesn't respond to [email protected] and CINGULAR 1 as user id and password entered into Axim.

I get error on my phone "SUBSCRIBE TO GPRS FIRST"

Noone at Cingular data or technical support or Nokia seems to have a clue.

ATT has a whole support page on this-
http://supportattws.primus.com/aws/knowledgebase/ATTW8098.html

Thanks

JS

Jeff Rutledge
12-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Moved to the Wireless forum.

JustMe
12-10-2004, 10:54 PM
You'll need to go into the GPRS settings on your nokia and change the APN or access point name from ISP.CINGULAR to WAP.CINGULAR

This is separate from anything you might have on your PDA.

This is also assuming that you have subscribed to medianet or mediaworks.

HTH,

JM

urologyhealth
12-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks I did that a several other things--like I had to have a DATA package ADDED to Media works according to Cingular Data desk to make it work in addition to your settings. Thank you

Apparently the Data Package is to use the Nokia as a modem and for their EMAIL client under Messages section, and the Media Works for the Internet part of the phone. Seems excessive charging?

With ATT -- all I needed was MMode data package I believe.

In any case all is now working well.

JustMe
12-12-2004, 03:49 AM
Hello. I hope you didnt have the $80 data plan added to your account. If so, that is definitely not necessary for you to tether.

JM

EDIT: after re-reading your post, it sounds like you want to use the CSD (dial up, like a real modem) ability. this is definitely slower than GPRS and unless you want to use your minutes or have a specific use for it, you should use GPRS instead since you are paying for MediaWorks. HTH.