View Full Version : "Fact" Checking...

cellhead
12-07-2004, 06:00 AM
I bought this only a few weeks ago as version 1, got it working and actually like it.

Now there is a new version, it's promting me for a username and password, sends me to an url for details, and of course there is no information on the site about what the damn thing is looking for.

I think your announcement is a little premature. Before extolling the wonders of this upgrade, it would be nice to think that you've actually tried it rather than helping me waste my time (and most likely overwrote and trashed my existing 1.0 WORKING version and gave me a NONWORKING one in its place).

Damn I hate crap like this.

Jason Dunn
12-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Before extolling the wonders of this upgrade, it would be nice to think that you've actually tried it rather than helping me waste my time (and most likely overwrote and trashed my existing 1.0 WORKING version and gave me a NONWORKING one in its place).

It's 100% impossible for us to test everything we post on - we pass along the news, but expecting a group of volunteer community members to test everything for you is a bit silly. If that's your expectation, I'd urge you to re-think it. Besides, you had a backup, right?

cellhead
12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah I have a backup, point is that as an editor you are supposed to do the bare minimum of fact checking, even if you are a volunteer. Otherwise you're just a publisher of press releases. Only a fool does that for free, buddy.

Whether you ever get your merde together is not my problem, you wanna give it away for free when they should be paying you, that's your business. I feel sorry for the author of this program though, he's bought himself a ton of support problems from customers because he was so inadequately prepared for this launch.

Pat Logsdon
12-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Yeah I have a backup, point is that as an editor you are supposed to do the bare minimum of fact checking, even if you are a volunteer. Otherwise you're just a publisher of press releases. Only a fool does that for free, buddy.
We're here to tell you about new stuff that comes out for Pocket PCs, not to hold your hand. I'm sorry that it hosed your previous install, but your beef is with the developer, not with us. Don't shoot the messenger.

cellhead
12-07-2004, 07:14 AM
I now know better than to trust anything from this site. Your editors are too "busy" to check facts before they publish, and they go on a coordinated attack when anyone points out a problem with the information they post.

You may think I'm just an annoyance for blowing your cover as a bunch of amateurs who collect banner ad revenue and kickbacks from downloads, and boost your egos by having your own forums and blogs and crap.

Just remember, your software pages link to Handango, who presumably gives you a cut of any revenue directed there from this site. They're going to love the warm feeling you're giving their paying customers, aren't they?

As a customer, what I expect to hear is "oops, let's follow that up and make sure our readers aren't getting bad info, thanks for pointing it out, sorry, we'll correct that", Instead, you just say "hope you had a backup." Well hahahaha. You have just bought and paid for all kinds of groovy karma, hope you like it.

I'll take special care next time NOT to click through this site ever again to buy software that does what I need and what it says. Yes, I actually do BUY the software I use and the tunes I listen to and the movies I watch, I don't steal them or hunt the web for cracks and warez.

I sure don't need to support a pack of losers like you if I can help it. Think I oughta bitch to Handango about you? Let me know ...

Pat Logsdon
12-07-2004, 08:25 AM
A very simple Google search shows that the developer has a discussion forum (http://www.absoft-net.com/phpBB2/) specifically for this product. If you have a problem with the software, I would suggest that you contact the developer. The software works fine for me, which would seem to indicate that the problem is with your device or your particular installation.

Darius Wey
12-07-2004, 09:23 AM
I think your announcement is a little premature. Before extolling the wonders of this upgrade, it would be nice to think that you've actually tried it rather than helping me waste my time (and most likely overwrote and trashed my existing 1.0 WORKING version and gave me a NONWORKING one in its place).

Seeing as though I made this announcement, I don't know whether to take this as a personal attack on me or the editorial team. Either way, we are a news site and as editors, we pass on information about news and views to do with Pocket PCs. To expect us to test every bit of software that we post on is a little extreme, don't you think? Head over to Handango and see how many new and updated software comes in through their doors everyday. I don't know about you, but none of us have super human powers that would enable us to test each and everyone one of these titles.

If you wanted to find out how a particular software is working, the review team does that, but they won't be churning out reviews of every title either. I'm sorry that the version upgrade worked against your liking, but no one could have predicted that. Visit the general forums and you will see people having problems with their devices every day - whether software or hardware related! But really, if you're having a problem with a particular piece of software, the developers and their associated support team are the best people to contact. :)

Jason Dunn
12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Yeah I have a backup, point is that as an editor you are supposed to do the bare minimum of fact checking, even if you are a volunteer.

Ok, here's some fact checking for ya:

FACT: The developer released a new version of the app

FACT: We posted that the developer released a new version of the app

FACT: It trashed your Pocket PC, which is between the developer and you

FACT: You're upset about it trashing your Pocket PC, and instead of taking responsibility for your actions (YOU installed it after all), you're redirecting your anger towards us