View Full Version : ACTIVESYNC HAS PACKED UP AND MADE MY PPC USELESS

darthbane2k
12-07-2004, 01:16 AM
I have been using my Hp 1940 with the very latest version of Activesync for two months with no problems, then last week every time I connect my PPC to its cradle activesync falls into GUEST mode.
Theres nothing I can do I've tried reinstalling activesync, ive tried a soft reset. My PPC screen tells me its connected to my desktop partnership but desktop activesync says GUEST.

This is driving me mad, i've searched the net and there seems to be no fix. I cant sync anything to my device and this bug has made it redundant.

I AM NOT prepared to do a hard reset as I dont want to lose my data.

Please suggest something...

whatsnext?
12-07-2004, 04:04 AM
have you no memory card to back up to?

Darius Wey
12-07-2004, 09:30 AM
have you no memory card to back up to?

Even still, you could just back up over ActiveSync.

darthbane2k
12-07-2004, 10:51 AM
well I have researched this issue all over the net and many other people have had it but NO ONE on any forum has yet to have offered a suitable fix/solution.
In my eyes, wiping my device is NOT an option - sure I have a 1 gig SD card and could backup onto there - but say if the restore doesn't work 100%, then I would have to rebuild and that is too time consuming, too inconvenient and to inefficient.
I used to have a Palm and even with backupbuddy after a full restore things would still not work correctly and require a re-install.

I am absolutely incensed that Microsoft do not have a fix for the Guest issue, especially seeing that its so widespread.
It really does make my PPC totally redundant as I cant do anything with it without a sync! The way I see it activesync is failing to do what it says on the tin.. synchronize.

Furthermore I am not sure whether I should delete the partnership and create a new one. If I do this how do I know it wont throw guest errors again an actual prevent my ppc from recognising the new partnership?
Also I would have to change my email sync settings again, what would happen to avantgo and movie guide sync - would those have to be installed again? etc...

Its all too much hassle.

Im looking for a simple solution that will avoid me losing any data.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
I have exactly the same 'Guest' mode problem last time. Sad to say, the only way to cure that would be a hard-reset. Trust me, I'd tried every remedies found on the net for at least three month but to no avail. I think the problem started when I deleted some of the empty-and-appear-to-be-useless folders in the PPC. After that, I never delete any default folders in PPC eventhough it's empty-and-appear-to-be-useless

webdaemon
12-07-2004, 04:58 PM
That's happened to me. Here was my solution...

I changed the device name on my PPC and then synced. Active sync sees it as a new device and sets up a new partnership. I sync at home and the office so it's kind of annoying to have to set up a new partnership on both computers, but it did the trick.

ironguy
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
We tend to blame AS for all our sync problems. Recently I had similar issues. Connecting as Guest, no auto sync upon connect, etc. Often, a reboot of my PC and a soft reset would solve the problem. The other day, one of my PPC softwares that uses AS to transfer program data hung in mid transfer. The program no longer runs on my PPC and the desktop version cannot connect to the PPC. I'm wondering how many programs tinker with AS to get their connection to work. Now I have to try to undo what this program has done.

Blah.

emuelle1
12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
I've been having that problem at work a lot too. Every day I come in, and Active Sync wants to set up a new partnership. I go through the same thing. I delete the existing partnership, let it deleted the synced file folders, then set up the same partnership. Of course, it wants to create duplicates of every contact, note, task, and appointment that I created at work. This morning it deleted all of my work contacts, including myself. Gotta love the "Deleted Items" folder. Up until now, I thought it had to do with this compture. I don't have the problem at home and I didn't have it on my last job. I just thought it was the network here.

darthbane2k
12-07-2004, 08:05 PM
weird... got home from work, docked in ceadle to charge and it works again.

now what i want to know is WHY it stopped working in the first place - any ideas?

webdaemon
12-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Your computer hates you?

Do you plug your device into the same USB port every time? I find that if I plug something into a different USB port, the computer thinks it has to reinstall the drivers sometimes. Perhaps Active Sync has trouble in that way as well.

darthbane2k
12-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Your computer hates you?

Do you plug your device into the same USB port every time? I find that if I plug something into a different USB port, the computer thinks it has to reinstall the drivers sometimes. Perhaps Active Sync has trouble in that way as well.

yes it stays in the same port all the time.
This IS a widespread problem - just search Activesync guest issue on google and see