View Full Version : Cool GPS Software?

ToddJ
12-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Is there any software out there for GPS that isn't a mapping program? For instance, I was thinking it would be cool to have a program that shows in BIG letters the speed that you are driving......

ToddJ
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
anyone?

Pat Logsdon
02-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but Vito Navigator (http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=6945XBDX56BB7DXFX92D985DAF797CA1&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=87640&sectionId=0&catalog=30&topSectionId=-1) can display speed and doesn't have maps...

Ripper014
02-02-2005, 12:59 AM
I am not sure why you would need this function... most vehicles come with this... you can usually find it looking through the steering wheel.

However... I believe GPS Tuner... and VisualGPSce will supply this data... though not in BIG letters... but in a series of individual gauges.

Ultima
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
The speedometers in cars is sometimes are inaccurate, due to them counting speed as based on it calculating from how fast the tires are spinning.

That also takes into estimate the size of the tires... Load slightly bigger or slightly smaller than your original tires, and the speed displayed becomes a little bit more "off."

If your car is sliding, as was the case a month or so ago after it snowed and there was a big patch of snow in the mall parking lot that my friends and I had some fun with (Car-sledding), then the speedometer will be WAY off. ;)

Anyway, having speedometer software on the PocketPC wouldn't be a bad idea. If your car said you were going 50 but you were really going 60 in a 55 zone, a GPS would tell you, but your car's speedometer might not. It might save ya from a traffic ticket….

Unfortunately, no, I don't know one that will display it in large text.

robshobs
02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
GPSDash has some great displays. You can customize the screen to show several items (speed, altitude, satalites) in both analog & digital. You car also Make a single gauge use the entire screen.

However, it is VERY expensive. I think $39 is a lot for this software.

Rob

CEGiven
02-22-2005, 09:48 PM
The speedometers in cars is sometimes are inaccurate, due to them counting speed as based on it calculating from how fast the tires are spinning.

That also takes into estimate the size of the tires... Load slightly bigger or slightly smaller than your original tires, and the speed displayed becomes a little bit more "off."

If your car is sliding, as was the case a month or so ago after it snowed and there was a big patch of snow in the mall parking lot that my friends and I had some fun with (Car-sledding), then the speedometer will be WAY off. ;)

Anyway, having speedometer software on the PocketPC wouldn't be a bad idea. If your car said you were going 50 but you were really going 60 in a 55 zone, a GPS would tell you, but your car's speedometer might not. It might save ya from a traffic ticket….

Unfortunately, no, I don't know one that will display it in large text.

I knew one fellow who used a GPS because his speedometer was broken. He was able to get a GPS for his vehichle for much less than the cost of fixing the speedometer :D

A GPS can be used for more than car/street navigation. I have Vito Navigator and GPSTuner which I use to terracache and geocache. You also might want to visit gpsgames.org for other ideas.

kiwiruss
02-23-2005, 04:56 PM
GPS Tuner might work also

CEGiven
02-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Speaking of ironic, I came across this speedometer type program today: GPS Speed Sentry

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4117