View Full Version : SMS - The Christmas Spirit in Australia

Darius Wey
12-04-2004, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.itnews.com.au/dlinkstorycontent.asp?ID=1&Art_ID=22701' target='_blank'>http://www.itnews.com.au/dlinkstory...=1&Art_ID=22701</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Some Australians would rather get a text message during the festive season than a Christmas card, according to a survey. The survey, commissioned by Motorola Australia's Personal Communications Sector (PCS) and carried out by Galaxy Research, found that 70 precent of 16-34 year olds surveyed planned to send text messages this Christmas."</i><br /><br />Christmas in Australia is quite unlike what is experienced in the Northern Hemisphere. We lack that white fluffiness and crackling fireplace to warm the house up. Instead, the beach is always an excellent time to spend the day - cracking open the beer, swatting flies, enjoying a BBQ, and walking around in shorts and thongs. So, sticking to the spirit of doing things differently, it seems as though the good ol' Christmas cards are a thing of the past here. SMS now dominates in spreading those festive messages. In fact, I can relate to this. I haven't received a Christmas card in years. They've all been SMS messages instead. So what about you? Do you still unify pen and paper, and lick the postage stamp to get the message across to your friends and family, or is your world very much dominated by the new digital age?

ctmagnus
12-04-2004, 07:08 AM
Christmas in Australia is quite unlike what is experienced in the Northern Hemisphere... walking around in shorts and thongs.

8O

We call them flip-flops here. Thongs are an entirely different article of clothing. :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
12-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Christmas in Australia is quite unlike what is experienced in the Northern Hemisphere... walking around in shorts and thongs.

8O

We call them flip-flops here. Thongs are an entirely different article of clothing. :mrgreen:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=thong

See definition no. 3: that's what I meant. Don't you love cross-cultural barriers? ;)

Oleander
12-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I would be stoned if I started sending SMS' instead of real christmas cards!

Hey! What else should we do in the long nights at this time of year (the sun is only up btw. 9 and 15). :D

I really think the weather has a big role in this.

bjornkeizers
12-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Damn, I was just about to book a flight to Down Under until you ruined my daydream :D

Yeah, I don't do christmas cards anymore these days.. I'm a geek - I send video messages on DVD, complete with interactive photo book and all that.

Bajan Cherry
12-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Oh yes, it is SMS all the way here in India. The network jams during Diwali and new year eve. In fact, only letters that I receive are the bills :(

The joy of receiving letters from family and friends is something younger generation would probably not experience much. Other day my seven year old son asked me what are stamps. 8O

Darius Wey
12-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Damn, I was just about to book a flight to Down Under until you ruined my daydream :D

Awww, did I scare you? But it is summer here... You really didn't think it was snowing here at the moment, did you? :P

yslee
12-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Yea, SMS here too. Faster and easier, cheaper too! =P

mmidgley
12-04-2004, 05:08 PM
i'm still doing the traditional christmas card thing. most of the receivers are high tech enough that i could SMS or email, but i choose not to--my paper card they have to physically open will stand out instead of being lost in the crowd of email.

m.

mcsouth
12-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Our family has typically done christmas cards every year - most of our family is a couple thousand miles away, so writing a letter and sending with a card is a nice personal touch. This year, we did decide to do something different - we are creating a VCD with a family slide show with text slides mixed in. Some of our family still don't do email, but everyone has a DVD player!

bjornkeizers
12-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Awww, did I scare you? But it is summer here... You really didn't think it was snowing here at the moment, did you? :P

Oh no, the other way around actually - celebrating Christmas while sipping a Pina Colada on a beautiful beach, surrounded by lovely young ladies in thongs sounds great...

So uh, how are Aussie women? ;-)

farnold
12-05-2004, 12:04 PM
"The survey, commissioned by Motorola Australia's Personal Communications Sector (PCS) ..."
Yeah, right... and it was Dr. Marlboro (or for all fellow Aussie blokes Dr. Winfield) who recently discovered that smoking is not dangerous... I go back to my barbie now and have a fag 8)

Kati Compton
12-05-2004, 01:05 PM
... Darius in a thong???

;)

bjornkeizers
12-05-2004, 03:49 PM
... Darius in a thong???

;)

Bad Kati, Bad! :bangin:

Darius Wey
12-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Darius in a thong???

:twak:

"The survey, commissioned by Motorola Australia's Personal Communications Sector (PCS) ..."
Yeah, right... and it was Dr. Marlboro (or for all fellow Aussie blokes Dr. Winfield) who recently discovered that smoking is not dangerous... I go back to my barbie now and have a fag 8)

:lol: Interesting comment.

Anyway, thongs and smoking aside, we *really* should be getting back on-topic. ;)

On a side note, I think I will just refrain from using the word, "thong", in any future post I do. :lol: :roll: