View Full Version : anyone own the scott eVest three.0?

zilla31
12-01-2004, 04:55 PM
i'm thinking of asking my wife for one of these for xmas but want to hear some real world (not review) testimony... trying to decide if i even need the fleece liner etc. (or just the shell)... among other questions :)

Darius Wey
12-02-2004, 04:28 AM
LOL. If there's ever anything that has the words, "Scott" and "eVest" in it, it's safe to say that Brad would have it. :mrgreen:

Sven Johannsen
12-02-2004, 05:19 AM
I have both the jacket and the liner, and the lighter weight 3.0 as well. I wouldn't exactly call the outer jacket a Shell as it is a full Jacket on it's own, it just features the ability to zip in the fleece, which is itself a full jacket. Personally I have been wearing the fleece by itself here in Colorado and it is extremely comfortable. It's been in the teens (farenheit) in the mornings for the past week or so and not much above 30-35 in the day. I've been comfortable. The 3.0 jacket is a heavier item, with good water repelence, though we don't get enough rain here for me to really evaluate that. It is similar to my North Face jacket, but with a whole lot more pockets.

I wore the lighter weight Jacket in California on the coast a few weeks ago and it weathered the rain and wind well, and was sufficiently warm for 40-50 deg. It was still comfortable up to about 70 to me.

Construction is excellent, easily on par with, if not better than, the high end North Face or Columbia.

What else?

zilla31
12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
so do you ever have occasion to wear the "shell" (even though we're no longer calling it that) portion or the combo? what are your overall feelings about the system? i thought about their spring/fall jacket too - is it just a toss up wearing that or the fleece? thanks so much - the damn thing is expensive enough to want to ask a lot of questions 8O

ironguy
12-02-2004, 05:39 PM
I have the three.0 and love it. Today I wore a sweater with the coat and it was about 32 degrees here in San Jose. I was fine. I tend to be hot blooded and rarely get cold though so take that into consideration. In fact, my wife has the electric blankie on 7 and my side is off. Hmmm, that sentence had nothing to do with the topic.

BTW, my wife surprised me with the coat last year for Christmas. I also have the cap and tie.

In fact, she surprised me with my first PPC (an hp548) some years ago and it's been off to PPC land!

Sven Johannsen
12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
so do you ever have occasion to wear the "shell" (even though we're no longer calling it that) portion or the combo? what are your overall feelings about the system? i thought about their spring/fall jacket too - is it just a toss up wearing that or the fleece? thanks so much - the damn thing is expensive enough to want to ask a lot of questions 8O

Call it what you like ;) No I don't wear them together, but that is because it is too warm for me. As I said at 10-15deg (F) I am comfortable in the fleece. I would be comfortable in the jacket as well, but this is Colorado and fleece is the native dress. Note that Ironguy had a sweater and the jacket at 32Deg (like it ever gets that cold in San Jose). If I were to be out in those below freezing temps for a significant time, I would feel secure in the fleece and jacket combo, but would probably be engaged in activities that I wouldn't be carrying all the tech gear. My North Face stuff would be more appropriate (backpacking, snowshoeing, X-country sking, etc.)

My Scott stuff is more for everyday use, and as such it's out of the house, into the car, out of the car, into a bldg. Even this time of year when the walk from the car in to the mall may be half an hour, it's fine (for me).

I forgot to look to see if your location is posted, but if you live in Alaska, central Canada or Minnesota I'd get both. If in places like Colorado, Oklahoma, I'd opt for fleece if it's cold and dry, or the jacket if it's cold and wet. If you live in Fl, or anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line on the east side of the country, I'd go with the spring/fall weight.

P.S. I am wearing the fleece, but the jacket is in the car, along with hat and gloves, in case something moves in and I get stuck and have to walk.

zilla31
12-02-2004, 08:09 PM
I have the three.0 and love it. Today I wore a sweater with the coat and it was about 32 degrees here in San Jose. I was fine. I tend to be hot blooded and rarely get cold though so take that into consideration. In fact, my wife has the electric blankie on 7 and my side is off. Hmmm, that sentence had nothing to do with the topic.

BTW, my wife surprised me with the coat last year for Christmas. I also have the cap and tie.

In fact, she surprised me with my first PPC (an hp548) some years ago and it's been off to PPC land!

i'm getting the cap free w/ my order - how is it???

zilla31
12-02-2004, 08:12 PM

Call it what you like ;) No I don't wear them together, but that is because it is too warm for me. As I said at 10-15deg (F) I am comfortable in the fleece. I would be comfortable in the jacket as well, but this is Colorado and fleece is the native dress. Note that Ironguy had a sweater and the jacket at 32Deg (like it ever gets that cold in San Jose). If I were to be out in those below freezing temps for a significant time, I would feel secure in the fleece and jacket combo, but would probably be engaged in activities that I wouldn't be carrying all the tech gear. My North Face stuff would be more appropriate (backpacking, snowshoeing, X-country sking, etc.)

My Scott stuff is more for everyday use, and as such it's out of the house, into the car, out of the car, into a bldg. Even this time of year when the walk from the car in to the mall may be half an hour, it's fine (for me).

I forgot to look to see if your location is posted, but if you live in Alaska, central Canada or Minnesota I'd get both. If in places like Colorado, Oklahoma, I'd opt for fleece if it's cold and dry, or the jacket if it's cold and wet. If you live in Fl, or anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line on the east side of the country, I'd go with the spring/fall weight.

P.S. I am wearing the fleece, but the jacket is in the car, along with hat and gloves, in case something moves in and I get stuck and have to walk.

thanks i really appreciate this... i got the system but i'm probably like you - i tend to be hot blooded too - so will probably only wear one or the other most of the time. usually a light coat is all i need (i live in VA and we have 4 distinct seasons). w/ their 30 day return policy i may even return one or the other depending... now i just need to get some of their cargo pants!!!

ironguy
12-03-2004, 04:35 PM
The cap is OK. It has a little side pocket and the visor pocket. Maybe it's just my fat head, but it seems to be a little short, or not tall enough. It fits snugly on the crown of the head. That said, I especially like using it when playing softball. I stick my Drivers License and car key in it and go.

zilla31
12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
does it look "normal". i mean i wear bball caps all the time on the weekends so i imagine i can get some use out of this as long as my friends aren't looking at me going "what's up with that weird hat?" :mrgreen: