View Full Version : Activesync Access Question

Oreocat
12-01-2004, 12:36 AM
We just started using a new security suite, and it's brought up a question about Activesync.

WHY must Activesync have internet access to sync items on my computer? If it were syncing emails, I might understand. If it were syncing game scores to an internet site, I might understand. If it were downloading an information stream, I might understand. But my ppc isn't configured to do *any* of that. In fact, the only file I have syncing is the desktop file... nothing else.

However, if I don't give Activesync access to the internet, it won't work. Doesn't matter how I configure it, it won't sync if I don't allow it contact with the internet. So, if I want anything to sync, I gotta give it access.... but WHY? What does it need access FOR? Does anyone know?

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Are you saying you need to actually have an internet connection established, i.e. broadband connected or modem dialed? Or are you saying you need to give AS internet access as far as a firewall is concerned?

You shouldn't need to to the former, I sync to a totally disconnected laptop often. If it is the latter, it is a symantics issue. The AS process sets up a network in the 192.168.55.x space, giving your PC and PPC IPs in that subnet. I can almost bet that is not in the subnet you normally use, and therefore is foreign, or 'the internet'. You might be able to configure your firewall just to trust the 192.168.55.x network, or just the two host IPs involved, 100 and 101.

Oreocat
12-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Ummmm... the second, just for firewall I guess.

While most of the second paragraph is pretty much over my head :oops: I did get the gist of it, and I was obviously misunderstanding what it wanted/needed :(

Thanks for the information Sven, I guess I can quit fighting with Activesync now ^_^