View Full Version : Photo Viewer

agentsoft
11-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm new to pocket pcs and wanted to know if anybody has any recommendations for photo viewers.

I found two of them and they both look great, but I need help to decide.

http://mobihand.com/compare.asp?id2=111&id1=160&Submit=Compare

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Jason Dunn
11-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Neither! ;-) Try Imageer:

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=741EABA76F133B894X6376AFE5622D63&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=102019&sectionId=0&catalog=30&topSectionId=-1

I helped created it, so I'm biased, but I think it's the best photo viewer on the market.

famousdavis
11-29-2004, 11:35 PM
With my Dell Axim X50v, the accompanying CDROM disc gave a full version of Resco's Photo Viewer -- in other words, it was free with the purchase of the X50v! Since it's not installed on the X50v, you have to hunt it down off the CDROM and install it yourself. I haven't used Photo Viewer much, but I did install it and gave it a twirl and it worked just fine for me.

Darius Wey
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
There are three majors players in the market: Spb Imageer, Resco Photo Viewer and XnView Pocket.

Despite the rich features offered by all of them, I still have to agree with Jason in saying that Imageer is easily one of the best ones out there.

dannyl
12-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I also installed the Resco Photo Viewer that came with my Axim. Its nice, and its a full version. But I cant find a registration code. I didnt need a code for installing the app from the Dell cdrom. But I noticed that Resco has a new version 5.10 on their site dated Dec 05. So being the moron that I am, I installed it, and overwrote my previous version 5.00. Now its asking for a registration code, and will expire in 32 days. I tried contacting Resco, but no response so far. Maybe I'm missing my reg code from my Dell Axim, but I looked and cant find it anywhere. In fact I cant even find the actual Resco Photo Viewer 5.00 app on the cdrom, although I was able to install it from the autoplay menu.

Anyone else in the same situation? Recommendations? Besides removing and installing the previous version. I mean 5.00 to 5.10... Looks like a minor update (probably bug fixes), I assume I would be eligible for that.

Ty

iant54
12-06-2004, 03:58 PM
I've found Resco support to be very responsive - if you've not heard back from them, retry using [email protected] (not sure whether this was the address you've already tried).

Darius Wey
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Anyone else in the same situation? Recommendations? Besides removing and installing the previous version. I mean 5.00 to 5.10... Looks like a minor update (probably bug fixes), I assume I would be eligible for that.

I'd wait for a response from their support staff. The enhancements in v5.10 are mainly optimisations with the way images are accessed and so on. But there are also new slide effects, support for WBMP, optimisations for VGA devices, among other things.

EDIT: Actually, here's a list from their website:

# New slide effects
# New user interface
# Cache file is now settupable
# Optimized thumbnail loading
# Image cropping and resizing (permits to save your color changes and other modifications)
# Enhanced zooming: better image quality achieved through bi-linear stretching
# Improved video (better synchronization with sound)
# Extended options for the thumbnail view
# Printing capability (requires HP Mobile Printing)
# Support for Windows Mobile 2003 SE (portrait/landscape switching, VGA resolution support)

Jason Dunn
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I should add that Imageer just won Pocket PC Magazine's award for the best photo viewing product, if that helps any... :wink:

Kurt Hunciker
12-08-2004, 01:21 AM
I highly recommend Spb Imageer. It has found a home on my new X50v, and it has become, for me, an indispensible program.

(I originally used Resco Picture Viewer until Imageer was released. On my Axim X5 (which owned at the time), there was a night and day difference between the quality of my photos from my Canon S400 as rendered by Picture Viewer and as rendered by Imageer. The pictures as rendered in Imageer were much smoother and seemed to have substantially more detail.)

Fedorov
12-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Can anyone confirm I read somewhere (can't remember) that current version of Imageer has memory leak issues with HP hx4700's or specifically VGA related probs that they said would get fixed in next release?

Jannic
12-08-2004, 08:38 AM
I can confirm the memory issue with HP hx4700 and Imageer.

I use PhotoViewer but gave Imageer a try and I have to say I liked Imageer a tiny little bit better. But if you start a slideshow every picture allocates more RAM and so you run out of RAM since the deallocation doesn't work. Spb is aware of that and they promised to fix it, however for me Imageer is quite useless with this bug, so I didn't buy it and still use Resco PhotoViewer. They just released version 5.1 which is fully VGA compatible now, so for now I'm happy - but if a new version of Imageer is released I might give it another try. On the other hand in my opinion the Resco support is better, there was a minor bug in 5.1 after release and they answered me and fixed it within yesterday.

Greetings,
Jannic

Robrecht
01-15-2005, 05:38 PM
If you're trying to limit your number of additional programs, the Pictures app that comes installed on the x50v will give you a 10-minute slide show if you adjust your settings to allow it.

WyattEarp
01-15-2005, 08:12 PM
I also installed the Resco Photo Viewer that came with my Axim. Its nice, and its a full version. But I cant find a registration code. I didnt need a code for installing the app from the Dell cdrom. But I noticed that Resco has a new version 5.10 on their site dated Dec 05. So being the moron that I am, I installed it, and overwrote my previous version 5.00. Now its asking for a registration code, and will expire in 32 days. I tried contacting Resco, but no response so far. Maybe I'm missing my reg code from my Dell Axim, but I looked and cant find it anywhere. In fact I cant even find the actual Resco Photo Viewer 5.00 app on the cdrom, although I was able to install it from the autoplay menu.

Ty

Had that same issue with the Resco Explorer 2003 that came with the h5555. The version that ships with PPCs are OEM versions which don't require a reg code to work. Upgrading with a "regular" version will require a code. You can either request a reg code and state what happened or wait to see if they release a new OEM version comaptible with your PPC.

In my case I emailed them because like you, I didn't know why I suddenly needed a reg code for v5.0. I was emailed back a full explanation and that they were releasing an OEM update soon. Also, to my suprise they were kind enough to give me a reg code for the new version anyway to ease my pain :way to go: . Shortly afterwards the new OEM v5.0 came out but I continued with the "regular" version as it is always updated first (no guarantee that OEM versions will keep up).

timbur
01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
SPB Imageer is probably the best there is - but if you want to grab a pretty good free app (before next Wednesday!) try:

http://www.handango.com/HandangoHolidayPromo.jsp?
Tim

Menneisyys
01-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Can anyone confirm I read somewhere (can't remember) that current version of Imageer has memory leak issues with HP hx4700's or specifically VGA related probs that they said would get fixed in next release?

Is it only a hx4700-related bug?

Menneisyys
01-15-2005, 08:35 PM
SPB Imageer is probably the best there is - but if you want to grab a pretty good free app (before next Wednesday!) try:

http://www.handango.com/HandangoHolidayPromo.jsp?
Tim

Yeah, SplashPhoto is pretty decent, but I'd say Spb Imageer 1.2, mainly because of its zooming, slideshow capabilities and shrinking quality is far better. The latest two Resco Photo Viewers (5.1 and 5.2 - the latter has almost nothing new, except for the must for requesting a new reg code - see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36467 on this) are also pretty good, but their zooming capabilities are worse than those of Spb.

I'd also recommend the PPCT topic on SplashPhoto: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36459

Menneisyys
01-15-2005, 08:41 PM
If you're trying to limit your number of additional programs, the Pictures app that comes installed on the x50v will give you a 10-minute slide show if you adjust your settings to allow it.

IMHO, the built-in Pictures has only one decent feature: its ability to seamlessly set VGA/landscape/menu-compliant Today wallpapers. It's definitely (about 40-50%, according to my benchmarks) slower at reading thumbnails / decoding pictures, has much less features and much worse shrinking quality than either Spb or Resco.

RD100
01-16-2005, 07:56 AM
See this related thread (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=59042) at aximsite.com :D