View Full Version : Apple's Airport Express and the PocketPC - Match Made in Heaven?

x999x
11-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Okay, I saw the Airport Express recently and have to say, it was love at first site...

Now, before I plunk down a buck and change to Mr.Jobs, I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with connectivity between this and a PocketPC?

I've read horror stories of people trying to use the first generation Apple Airport hubs with PCs, but that was then, and this is now... So, does anyone suspect I'll have any problems using an Airport Express with my PocketPC?

I go on holiday quite a bit, and I'm getting aggrivated at hotels only offering ethernet connections in their rooms. I've stopped bringing my laptop, and started bringing my linksys wifi router... It was like a revelation of sorts when I stumbled upon the Airport Express...

ziggurat29
11-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Please do reasearch on the Airport Express before making your purchase. Let me tell you of my horror story briefly...

Ordered unit. Using in an wired lan environment with Windows. Got it in July. Three weeks were wasted on buggy configuration application (for Windows), and intermittent device operation. Never got Wireless to work at all, btw, with windows.

OK, so maybe it's bad. A buddy of mine has one successfully working in his home, which happens to be Apple computers. I loan it to him for a couple days and it works fine. Silly that it would be Apple related as it's a network device, but hey, bad software exists; c'est la vie. So back it goes...

Well, after spending some time attempting to find the number to submit and RMA, and half-an-hour on hold, I am informed that since I have had the unit for 15 days, they cannot accept it for return, that maybe I 'should try selling it on eBay'. Ha! The callous audacity! And how could I sell a unit knowing it is defective anyway.

Well, alas, I had finally to get the credit-card company involved. Then Apple claimed that they never received the unit. Fortunately I had it sent it with delivery confirmation. I've not received the money back just yet, but finally should in the next month.

Aside from that it is a beautifully designed unit, and there are many people who use it successfully. But you are running a risk with it. If you wish to consider alternatives, I think DLink makes something that is functionally equivalent (and oh is not locked into the goofy iTunes protocol either).

Whew... I feel better.... Best of luck shopping, sorry to give negative news. I myself had high hopes for it....

nik96
12-01-2004, 02:27 PM
I have Airport Express on my Windows home network and it's great. I have it near to the hifi and run the audio out from the Express into the hifi.

I now use my iPAQ (and run Terminal Services) to access the music database that's held on the PC in the study, all from the comfort of my armchair. I just fire up iTunes remotely, and play whatever I want.

Sorry to hear ziggurat29 had such problems; my experiences are very different. Make sure you check for any software or firmware downloads from the Apple support website, but I had no problems setting it up or using it. My network is 100% Windows; no Mac's at all. I've not tried a connection just from the iPAQ, but see no reason why it won't work...

ziggurat29
12-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Right; I've heard of others having success as well. Just be darned certain you have the same, and with reliability, within 15 days. Really, I suspect the problems to be due to a hardware design issue. Other folks on the web found such things as 'squeezing the unit's sides' to 'help' their problems. Ha! Save your receipts....

frankenbike
12-08-2004, 02:36 AM
The Airport Express might be overkill if accessing ethernet is what you plan to use it for. I use an Asus WL330g (the g is overkill for my "b" wifi on my Axim, but I've also used it with my wife's laptop). I paid around $60 for the Asus, and it works great. But you have to configure it from your PC initially, configure your PPC with the right WEP and you're good to go. I've used it in several hotels, and aside from hassles with their service provider's lack of a PPC compatible login page at one place, and getting around that, it worked flawlessly.

You can get away with not configuring it, if you don't care about other nearby people possibly using your wifi to access the net.

A similar pocket device is the Dlink DWL-G730AP pocket access point. Both are smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I imagine you have the same problem of having to configure it from your PC initially.

smashcasi
12-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Judging from the feedback we've received from RemoteAmp users there are quite a few people out there who are happily using Pocket PCs through an Airport Express.

My own experience with the device has been relatively painless. There were some issues with the initial firmware, but the updates Apple has made available cleared them all up. If you run into issues initially configuring the device from a PC I would recommend using a wired connection and the Airport Admin utility rather than the wireless setup that's run by default.

I'd also echo frankenbike's comment - if you don't plan on making use of the streaming capabilities you might save a little money by checking out some of the other micro access points out there.

juni
12-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Works fine with my Hx4700 (once we figured out how to set it up). :)

frankenbike
12-10-2004, 06:30 AM
I'd also echo frankenbike's comment - if you don't plan on making use of the streaming capabilities you might save a little money by checking out some of the other micro access points out there.

Just to clarify, by streaming capabilities you mean streaming audio to it and using the audio out on the AE, right? It's a nifty feature for home use, but it's sort of a pain to have to take it out of your home audio system every time you want to pack it up to sojourn ;)

I've regularly streamed from my PC to my Axim with the Asus WL330g. Though lately I've relegated the Asus to travelling only (after using it for two months at home, so it's always packed) and got a dedicated home WiFi router.

OTOH, it would be kind of cool during a party to stream from the Axim to an AE on the main stereo system or in multiple locations in a large house, and control all the music from your pocket (I don't know if you can do the multiple location thing or not, but somehow I'd presume you could somehow) ;)

stewatia
12-19-2004, 07:05 PM
I carry my Airport express with me on the road and use it in hotels. In vegas last month 4 of us connected everyday to it so we didn't pay 12.95 for EACH room everyday.

At home, I have my music collection on my desktop in the study in the basement, the airport express plugged to the stereo uptairs in the family room, and use smashcasi remoteamp as a remote control on my hp6315. The desktop also runs the server version of the remoteamp application. Next summer I plan to get the bose environment speakers outside on the deck to take this deal a notch higher.

frankenbike
12-20-2004, 03:23 AM
I carry my Airport express with me on the road and use it in hotels. In vegas last month 4 of us connected everyday to it so we didn't pay 12.95 for EACH room everyday.

At home, I have my music collection on my desktop in the study in the basement, the airport express plugged to the stereo uptairs in the family room, and use smashcasi remoteamp as a remote control on my hp6315. The desktop also runs the server version of the remoteamp application. Next summer I plan to get the bose environment speakers outside on the deck to take this deal a notch higher.

So you have to take it off the stereo system every time you want to carry it around with you when you travel?

Seems like two of them would be a good idea. One for home and one for travel, or an AE for home and something less expensive for travel (since then you're just using WiFi).