View Full Version : X50v initial problems.

prototype
11-29-2004, 02:09 AM
Ok so I ahve had my X50v for a week now and I have noticed a few things that concern me:

--a couple times when I have tried to turn on the wireless I have gotten an error that there was not enough memory to activate wireless??? What is this about?? I have plenty of storage and program memory available.

--Yes the screen takes a bit more force when tapping than my previous IPAQ's but I can deal with that.

--Now and then when I tap the start menu it can take a second or two for it to appear on the screen.

is this common to anyone else?

Jonathon Watkins
11-29-2004, 02:31 AM
--a couple times when I have tried to turn on the wireless I have gotten an error that there was not enough memory to activate wireless??? What is this about?? I have plenty of storage and program memory available.

Yes, I've seen that too. :?

----Yes the screen takes a bit more force when tapping than my previous IPAQ's but I can deal with that.

I would not say it was more force. I am still trying to qualtify it & get used to it.

----Now and then when I tap the start menu it can take a second or two for it to appear on the screen.

Not seen that so far myself.

Overall I really like it, but it does take a bit of getting used to in terms of screen entry.

Sven Johannsen
11-29-2004, 03:05 AM
I've seen the first issue on the BT side. I tend to not use the wireless button in it's stock configuration as I generally don't want both radios turned on. I just use the icons in the system tray seperately. There is also a freeware WiFi Power app that you can use to re-assign the side button to just turn on WiFi (and not BT too).

Anyway, I have seen the not enough memory turning on BT, but not WiFi so far. I've heard the 4700 exhibits the same problem, and the PPCtechs 128M upgrade doesn't fix it. A OS problem maybe? Soft reset seems to fix it, for now. Expecting a ROM update at some point. Dell needs to get the buton mapping in MP10 fixed.

Raynne
11-29-2004, 03:27 AM
My start menu takes a few seconds to come up, but I think mine is just because I have a good bit of software installed.

ignar
11-29-2004, 05:06 AM
I experience the first problem when I try to enable both Wifi and BT.

bigkingfun
11-29-2004, 05:29 AM
I've had the first issue once or twice, but as in some of the previous posts I've only had it when turning on bluetooth.

As far as the screen entry, I find it takes a little more pressure as well. Has anyone tried it with one of the better screen protectors like Write Shields? Does it make it any better or worse?

I'm waiting for my WriteShields to arrive and I'm using it with no screen protector at all right now. I'm a little hesitant when writing on the screen just because it seems to need more pressure. I would hate to scratch the screen before I get a protector on it. I wasn't crazy about it when I first got it, but having used it for a week or so I'm starting to like it better. I find that because it isn't as sensitive, I tend to get less errant marks when entering text. I use Calligrapher and I'm finding my recognition is improving because of this.

rzanology
11-29-2004, 05:40 AM
ive seen the memory error alot. a soft reset gets rid of it. about the start menu..the cpu speed might be set to low or auto.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2004, 06:16 AM
--Yes the screen takes a bit more force when tapping than my previous IPAQ's but I can deal with that.

--Now and then when I tap the start menu it can take a second or two for it to appear on the screen.

Yeah, I noticed that the screen is a bit "gummy" or something - it has a different tactile feel. Regarding the start menu, this is actually fairly common across most devices, but it can be especially slow if you have apps installed in Flash ROM or on a storage card because it has to draw the icons based on the EXE files. Once it draws them once, it's cached until the next soft reset.

rzanology
11-29-2004, 05:51 PM
any word on if dell is working on an update for this memory issue? Its very annoying. I have to reset the device every time I want to use Bluetooth.

PJE
11-30-2004, 12:50 AM
My main gripe it running out of memory when browsing the internet with MultiIE over WiFi...

My memory slowly fills up, even though it's supposed to be putting the internet cache on my CF card.

Also, how much memory is in use after a soft reset? mine has almost 15MB already used! ouch... This together with the memory leak from somewhere seams to be spoiling my fun.

Also Magic Button 1.7 disapears after a while - probably memory related - and I can only make it come back after a soft reset.

Jonathon Watkins
11-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Also Magic Button 1.7 disapears after a while - probably memory related - and I can only make it come back after a soft reset.

Same here. Odd. :?

rzanology
12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
what is magic button?

upplepop
12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
what is magic button?
:google: http://www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx

rzanology
12-03-2004, 07:22 PM
hmmmm....looks nice...but i'll stick to wisbar.

so it is fair to call this problem we're having a memory leak?

PJE
12-03-2004, 07:32 PM
so it is fair to call this problem we're having a memory leak?

Not sure, it seems on that the memory fills up so quickly when browsing the internet. I'll have to check that the temp files are being stored on my CF card. It's the main annoyance with the device (other than the false battery door warnings), it's a shame Microsoft didn't sit down and think while programing PocketIE. I would much prefer to set a MB limit on IE temp files and for the older files to be purged.

I'm also seeing Fitaly/Caligrapher issues, where it won't come up when selected....

X50v - Hardware 95% (5% deducted for battery life)
Software 75%.

Dave Sommers
12-04-2004, 05:28 AM
I've been having a similar problem with WiFi and BT/GPS. Seems after each session, when I turn the x50v off I have to do a soft reset to get the other function to work. Using BT and then can't get WiFi to come up, using WiFi then can't get BT to work. Always have to do the soft reset. What doyou experts think?

rzanology
12-06-2004, 05:58 PM
i think some one needs to slap either dell or microsoft. They better get this madness fixed soon. This is out of control....why should i have to reset my device damn near every day. I knew i should have went wit the 4700 :(. This is my first ppc that isnt from hp...and this is what i get!

PJE
12-06-2004, 07:33 PM
I knew i should have went wit the 4700 :(. This is my first ppc that isnt from hp...and this is what i get!

I doubt the 4700 would be much better...

I had a eureka momemt with regard to excessive memory useage while surfing the web. I was using MultiIE to have multiple pages open in tabs (I wish it was a little more intelligent) and although I knew it opened another IE instance for each page, I had not counted on the memory taken by each new instance... 1MB+ so I now browse in a single window with my temp files on CF and memory use seems a little better.

Ripper014
12-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Should have gone to something with a little more ram... a Toshiba e830... or Loox 720... maybe even the yet to be released Asus a730W instead.... all of which are priced lower than the Hx4700...

With the Dell x50V I guess you are getting what you pay for... a good PocketPC that is not perfect...

Jonathon Watkins
12-06-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm having problems installing PiePlus 1.2 on the X50v. I just can't get it working. It says it is installed, but the blue plus symbol does not appear in PIE. :? I have tried installing and unistalling it a few times, but no joy. Anyone else see this?

TMann
12-07-2004, 04:01 AM
I knew i should have went wit the 4700 :(. This is my first ppc that isnt from hp...and this is what i get!

I doubt the 4700 would be much better...

I had a eureka momemt with regard to excessive memory useage while surfing the web. I was using MultiIE to have multiple pages open in tabs (I wish it was a little more intelligent) and although I knew it opened another IE instance for each page, I had not counted on the memory taken by each new instance... 1MB+ so I now browse in a single window with my temp files on CF and memory use seems a little better.

How do you get the temp files to be stored on the CF card?

TMann

PJE
12-07-2004, 04:13 AM
How do you get the temp files to be stored on the CF card?
Teaks2002.NET or Memmaid adjusts the registry. I think I used MemMaid.