View Full Version : Service Pack 2 Installation Problem

Oregon Trail
11-28-2004, 11:03 PM
I have tried to install Windows SP2 twice. Both times after the installation and reboot, the screen looks out of phase. I'm not sure what to do to fix it so both times I used the "Go Back" feature of Norton SystemWorks to return to a pre-installation point. By "out of phase" I mean that the entire screen looks as though the primary colors are next to each other instead of combined. It's really weird looking. I've seen it before when my PC was in safe mode. Then it was easy to cure. I just rebooted. That fix doesn't work this time. Any ideas or sites that I can use to solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

OSUKid7
11-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Do you have the latest video card drivers? Make sure you update those before installing SP2. Then, if you still have this problem after installing SP2, try to boot into safe mode and see if you have the same problem.

The best way to install SP2 though, as with any major OS update, is to backup your data and perform a clean install of Windows. There are guides online on how to burn a "slipstreamed" version of Windows XP, which installs SP2 at the same time.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2004, 12:35 AM
I'd even suggest that you install the latest video drivers AFTER installing SP2 and see if that helps...

Janak Parekh
11-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Based on your symptoms, I ask out of curiosity: what kind of monitor do you have? Is it possible the video drivers are being somehow reconfigured to a higher resolution or refresh rate? so that you can't see what's on the screen? And does the machine respond?

--janak

Oregon Trail
11-29-2004, 03:01 AM
what kind of monitor do you have? Is it possible the video drivers are being somehow reconfigured to a higher resolution or refresh rate? so that you can't see what's on the screen? And does the machine respond?
I have a 19" Viewsonic UltraBrite A90F+ monitor. I hadn't thought about the video drivers. I will check them. Thank you Janek and Jason. I will try the suggestion about updating the video drivers. However, I don't have a separate video card. It is part of the motherboard, an MSI 845GE.

OSUKid7
11-29-2004, 04:51 AM
I will try the suggestion about updating the video drivers. However, I don't have a separate video card. It is part of the motherboard, an MSI 845GE.Yeah it still may be the video card drivers. The drivers for the 845GE are available here. (http://us-download.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_exe/mbd_dvr/intelvga_win2k_xp69.zip)

Oregon Trail
11-30-2004, 12:37 AM
OSUKid7, Jason and Janek, Thank you so much for helping me with my SP2 problem. I wish there was an online equivalent of a six pack of your favorite beverages. I would send you each one. It was the drivers! OSUKid7 the link that you included in your message was just what I needed. It made the installation a snap. :lol:

OSUKid7
11-30-2004, 12:44 AM
OSUKid7, Jason and Janek, Thank you so much for helping me with my SP2 problem. I wish there was an online equivalent of a six pack of your favorite beverages. I would send you each one. It was the drivers! OSUKid7 the link that you included in your message was just what I needed. It made the installation a snap. :lol:Great! :D It's always nice when the first suggested solution works. :)

Enjoy SP2!

Jason Dunn
11-30-2004, 01:19 AM
Well, you're already a subscriber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php), so I can't ask anything more of you. :D