View Full Version : X50v WiFi connection issues

mcsouth
11-27-2004, 08:21 PM
As my first WiFi-enabled PDA, I was looking forward to using the X50v to connect directly to my home network, as well as other networks, in order to expand my PDA usage. However, my initial experience has not been very positive.

My home network runs a D-Link DI-614+ router, and I have my wireless network screwed down fairly tight - I have SSID broadcast shut off, I'm using a 64bit WEP key, and have the network restricted to specific MAC addresses. I have added the MAC address of the X50v to my network, and have entered the SSID and WEP key into the wireless setup on the pda, but other than a brief connection period, I can't get the unit to hook up to my network. Initially, I could "see" the network, but I couldn't connect. After much messing around, I finally got the unit hooked up, and was able to surf the web, etc for a short period.

I ended up shutting off the unit while I had a brief conversation with some family members, and after powering the unit back up, I have been unsuccessful in reconnecting to my network - the unit reports the network as "unavailable", and shows the SSID as "hidden", even though I have the proper settings loaded into the unit. I have rechecked and even re-entered all of the settings, but have been unsuccessful in reconnecting to my network.

Ironically, I started up the unit in our local coffee-shop this morning, turned on the wireless, and was immediately connected to the Internet through a local "unsecured" WiFi network - I didn't have to do a thing other than turn the Wireless on, and I was connected, so I know that the wifi in the unit is working - it just doesn't seem to like hooking up to my "secured" network at home. Has anyone else had trouble getting their Dell X50v to hook up to secured wireless networks?

Dave Beauvais
11-27-2004, 08:47 PM
I and several other people are having similar problems with iPAQ hx4700s. There's a thread here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33609) and at Brighthand (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111981) about the subject. My personal Pocket PC is an hx4700 and the one I'm using at work is an Axim X50v. Both have identical problems connecting with my access point at home, but both work perfectly on pretty much ever other wireless network I've tried. That would seem to indicate my access point is at fault, but doesn't explain why two wireless laptops and my previous h5455 worked perfectly with it.

There's been much speculation about the problem, but no solution that resolves it 100% of the time for all users.

Robrecht
12-26-2004, 04:20 PM
I have an almost identical set-up and similar problems--ended up disabling my security for now in order to get my x50v to connect. Not ideal, but I live in the country so it's not a big deal for me at home.

Sven Johannsen
12-26-2004, 07:15 PM
You might try making your SSID visible. That seems to be a consistant factor in PPC connection issues. With WEP enabled and MAC address filtering on, hiding the SSID provides very little in additional security, based on everything I have read.