View Full Version : replace system sounds

capo
11-27-2004, 05:20 PM
I've done a fairly extensive google search and seen this question asked a few places but never found an answer.
What I want to do is replace a couple of default PPC2003 system sounds - specifically, 'default' and 'hwandsw'. They are in ROM, so I know I can't change the files themselves. I've also looked through the registry but haven't found a place where either of those files is referenced.
I've seen it suggested that copying new sounds with the same filenames to RAM will cause the OS to load the new files instead of the default - not true. Nor can you change certain system sounds from the control panel - they're either off or on, that's it.
Is there a 3rd party app that will allow changing *all* system sounds, not just alarms?

Julio
11-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Hello,

take a look at Wisbar Advanced 2 at:

http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/wisbar/

This allows you to set sound schemes as part of a "skin". Try the skins and sound schemes from Juni - they are pretty good.

Not sure if this 100% answers your question - but it is a good alternative.

Julio

capo
11-28-2004, 08:58 PM
No kidding... I never noticed WisBar did sounds too. Thanks! In the meantime I took the plunge and bought Soundz Cool (stupid name, good product). It allows replacement of the default system sounds too, so I'm now a happy guy again.

dean.roberts
12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
I have the same question - how do I alter the system sounds.

I ask this question again because I have installed the eval version of WisBar Advance 2 on my new XDA IIs (upgrade from SE P800) and I like the sounds which come with the Black&White theme from Juni. Problem is that WisBar is not compatible (yet) with the PPC PE and so I have to uninstall it. However I still want the cool sounds.

Any other options?

Cheers
Dean

ironguy
12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Has anyone made a sound file with the same name and dumped it in the Windows folder? I seem to remember that working at some point? The ROM version hangs around but the registry reads the newer file. Maybe?

Lex
12-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Has anyone made a sound file with the same name and dumped it in the Windows folder? I tried replacing 'Alarm 1' with my own but chickened out. I got a warning that overwriting a system file could cause damage so I skipped it. I chose my custom sounds for reminders & alarm sounds and put up with the other anemic system 'pweeps'.

Darius Wey
12-13-2004, 04:55 AM
I tried replacing 'Alarm 1' with my own but chickened out. I got a warning that overwriting a system file could cause damage so I skipped it. I chose my custom sounds for reminders & alarm sounds and put up with the other anemic system 'pweeps'.

LOL. You only need to make a backup of the original file and you should be safe experimenting with a new sound. Just rename the file extension of the original file to .BAK or something like that. If you need to resort back to it, you can rename it to its original file extension again. :)

fivepetpalace
12-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah hwandsw can be a real ear killer on headphones.

I dropped a sound file into windows with the same name... both show up on the PPC, but it still just uses the system one, how dissappointing.