View Full Version : How can I resize video clips that fit my 3955....

divingJC
11-25-2004, 10:01 PM
to now fit my VGA screen 4705? All of my old clips now fit on only about a fourth of the screen. Thanks for any help.

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Because your device is a VGA device, you need VGA clips: 640 x 480 resolution. While it's technically possible to re-encode your video clips at the bigger size, the results would be very bad. Plus, the hx4700 can't play back VGA video very well anyway (the dirty little secret HP won't tell you).

I'm not sure what format your files are in, but if they're MPEG or DIVX, you can probably find a player that will have a "fit to screen" function which will stretch the video to fit your screen - but remember the quality will suffer.

divingJC
11-26-2004, 01:07 AM
I was kind of afraid that would be the case. Thanks :|

jonathanchoo
11-26-2004, 10:30 AM
to now fit my VGA screen 4705? All of my old clips now fit on only about a fourth of the screen. Thanks for any help.

This assumes you use DivX or XviD format videos:

If you are really desperate to re-encode your QVGA movies into VGA, you can try VirtualDub program. Just play around with the resize settings and try one of the few algorithms resize filers available such as bicubic, bilinear etc.

I don't think PPC players such as BetaPlayer has very good 'anti-aliasing' zoom. However, I would not recommend you to resize the videos. You could re-encode them to the same size as your QVGA, but that means less information for each 8x8 block.

If you are using WMV files, you can re-encode them using Windows Media Encoder which can be downloaded from MS's website. Doesn't the hx4700's WMP9 allow you to zoom?

ch_thom
11-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Plus, the hx4700 can't play back VGA video very well anyway (the dirty little secret HP won't tell you).

Can you elaborate on this comment?

disconnected
11-26-2004, 05:54 PM
There is a plugin for BetaPlayer which will play WMV files and stretch them to full screen. I don't have the links handy, but there are several threads here and on Brighthand about it.

Jason Dunn
11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Can you elaborate on this comment?

I don't have an hx4700 myself, so I haven't tested this, but I've been told by people at Microsoft that in order to do 640 x 480, 30 fps video with a nice bitrate (800 kbps+), hardware acceleration is needed - the Xscale processor, even running at 624 mhz, doesn't have the firepower needed for video that big.

Are any 4700 users playing video files like that with no problems? I'd love to be wrong on this one. ;-)

ch_thom
11-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Just for information I've been ripping DVD episodes of my Stargate collection using PocketDVD. The settings I use are as follows (All info from PocketDVD):

Video:
Crop mode 6
Resolution 640 x 416 (266k pixel)
Quality slider set to max (far right)
Frame Rate 24fps
Codec Xvid MPEG-4 Codec

Audio:
80kb (better than Fm Radio Quality)
Sampling 22Khz
Channel Mono

As far as I can see this is the highest quality that PocketDVD can produce. It produces a file of about 497MB for a single episode, which is roughly 45 minutes in length. I know it's a huge file but it does give me (in my opinion) full screen DVD quality playback on my 4700 using BetaPlayer. Also at present this is the biggest file I can handle as I only have a 512MB SD card and a 256MB Compact Flash.

Now I'm not a videophile or audiophile, but I am used to watching a fair amount of DVDs on a normal TV setup (Sony Vega but no Surround Sound). The quality of the video playback on the 4700 more than exceeds my expectations. I've watched more video on it in one month than I did in over a year on my old 5550. In fact it has replaced my hitachi portable DVD player, so I get to carry less about with me :D

Guess the only thing I need now is a 5GB microdrive to fit some films on. :way to go:

Darius Wey
11-27-2004, 04:07 AM
There is a plugin for BetaPlayer which will play WMV files and stretch them to full screen. I don't have the links handy, but there are several threads here and on Brighthand about it.

The link for the plugin can be found here (http://plugins.topcat.hu/).

Darius Wey
11-27-2004, 04:09 AM
If you are thinking of transposing your QVGA video to a VGA resolution, you should remember that you are scaling up the resolution, so you will lose clarity since you're effectively stretching 1 pixel across 4 pixels. If possible, I would re-encode the videos from the original source (if you have these). If not, be prepared for a drop in clarity over a VGA resolution.

divingJC
11-28-2004, 10:09 PM
I had a DVD to AVI converter on my last computer that I found that was free. Do you guys now of any that are good. I don't remember the name but I assume that now that its popular I won't be able find one for free. VGA compatibility. Thanks

Darius Wey
11-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I had a DVD to AVI converter on my last computer that I found that was free. Do you guys now of any that are good. I don't remember the name but I assume that now that its popular I won't be able find one for free. VGA compatibility. Thanks

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34904

It gets confusing when you cross-post. :|