View Full Version : My reminders do not appear

sdmorris
11-25-2004, 09:55 PM
I have a brand new 4700. My reminders do not appear.

Program/Notifications are enabled
Reminders are set to play Alarm1 and testing the alarm sounds at full volume.
Display messages and Flash light are enabled

Events were synchronised from Outlook 2003 on my desktop, where they do display. When they failed, I also entered events directly into the 4700, which shows that an alarm is set. - but no reminders!
I tried with both the built-in Calendar application and with Informant.

Any ideas?

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 10:45 PM
What software have you installed on the Pocket PC since getting it?

sdmorris
11-25-2004, 10:58 PM
None - I only got it 2 days ago and I wanted to make sure that all the basic stuff works before I add anything.

ctmagnus
11-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Do you not even get a pop-up about the alarm when you turn the iPaq on after eht alarm time?

sdmorris
11-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Not even then.

However, I have found a (temporary ?) solution in another forum.

I simply changed my timezone, restored my timezone and then soft reboot.
Suddenly it all works!

The thread that I found this in warned that the problem may return after a few days - we will see.

I think that there is a WinCE bug associated with changing timezones, which I did twice during the first 2 days after buying the iPaq. Maybe you need to soft reset after changing timezones, to avaiod the problem?

amnon
11-26-2004, 03:45 PM
I noticed that kind of problem with my Dell Axim X30 624.

I have read somewhere that a full backup tends to do that.

What solves it for me is to change the timezone and back like you did.

Did you do a full backup to try it? Was it internal (to a memory card or internal memory) or through ActiveSync?

Amnon

Gerard
11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
There is a small freeware from Burr Oak called WakeUpTweak which has made reminders on my WM2003 Dell X5 very reliable. Only if I set it to 'always wake PPC to full power mode.'

I usually use SuperAlert, and under PPC2002 that worked very well in making reminders ring. But under the newer OS it's just not able to fully wake the device, so I miss appointments without the WakeUpTweak also running. Garry Whittaker has sent me a couple of SuperAlert versions and I've been testing and reporting results. Yesterday he said "I'm going to look into this a bit more. We should be able to work without WakeUpTweak." So SuperAlert may yet be able to work alone. Meantime I use both, one to jump-start the PPC, the other to deliver custom alarm sounds with timings/volume I prefer. Escalating sounds can help in noisy environments, or just when I'm sleepy.

http://www.burroak.on.ca/ptafaq.html

http://www.pocketfillers.com/

amnon
11-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Isn't that related somehow to the backup issue? When I do an internal backup I am told that all programs have to be shut down. May be that shuts down something that pops the alerts and thus a 'massage', i.e. a reset or changing of the timezone is needed?

amnon
11-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Isn't that related somehow to the backup issue? When I do an internal backup I am told that all programs have to be shut down. May be that shuts down something that pops the alerts and thus a 'massage', i.e. a reset or changing of the timezone is needed?

I just did a full backup to my SD card on my Dell Axim X30 624 and added an appointment with an alert which fired. I really now don't understand what is causing alerts not to fire sometimes.

I sure wish we would have a definite answer instead of the voodoo and massaging techniques we are discussing :oops:

sdmorris
11-28-2004, 09:48 PM
In my case, I have only had the iPaq for a few days and have neither installed any other software or done a backup.

The only thing that may have triggered the initial problem was changing the time zone twice in 3 days.

Since I tried the "voodoo" on Friday, of resetting the time zone and doing a soft reset, the problem has not returned. I am keeping my fingers crossed (another voodoo?).

Life was much simpler with my old PalmOS PDAs.

forestir
12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Thank you. This solution to change time zones fixed it for me.

I started having the problem right after doing a backup.

Thanks for the time zone suggestion.