View Full Version : Bluetooth vs. IR keyboard

upplepop
11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I am looking around for a keyboard for my Axim x50, and I'm trying to decide whether to get an IR or Bluetooth keyboard.

IR keyboard are much cheaper, however I would have to mess around with those adjustable IR wands.

However, a Bluetooth keyboard is expensive and I will have to ensure that my future PPCs have Bluetooth, which may restrict my options when I shop for my next PPC.

Is the Bluetooth really worth the extra price?

Has anyone used both types of keyboards? Do you have any suggestions on specific models? I'm currently looking at ThinkOutside's Stowaway IR (http://www.thinkoutside.com/stowawayir_product.html) and Bluetooth (http://www.thinkoutside.com/stowawaybt_product.html) models.

Pat Logsdon
11-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Short answer: Yes, bluetooth is worth the extra price. :mrgreen:

BT has been pretty much standard for awhile now and I don't see that changing. OEMs have a bad habit of moving the IR port around as well - my 4150's port is on the bottom, so I have to use either a serial keyboard or a BT keyboard. I've used all three kinds of keyboards, and I think BT is the best option.

famousdavis
11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
The price difference is $100! 8O $50 for IR, $150 for BT.

There is no question for me: I'd rather put up with a little inconvenience using the IR keyboard, than to enjoy somewhat greater freedom of arrangment and set-up using the Bluetooth keyboard.

How much time do you anticipate using the keyboard (either IR or BT)? And in what setting?

Pat Logsdon
11-23-2004, 09:05 PM
The price difference is $100! 8O $50 for IR, $150 for BT.
Not necessarily. :wink:
(more later)
^
└----cryptic statement

surur
11-23-2004, 10:01 PM
May I just say that is incredibly well done ascii art :)

Surur

Pat Logsdon
11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
May I just say that is incredibly well done ascii art :)
Thanks! I was tired and shagged out following the effort to remember some of the code. ;) I actually used to do ANSI art back in the day, if anyone remembers what that is. 8O

FrozenIpaq
11-24-2004, 12:15 AM
I would get an IR Keyboard because they come with a ppc mount and all you have to do is move the arm. My Targus IR Keyboard works perfect for me, keys are big so i can touch type and i use it to write essays all the time, its even got a mouse thingy! people say how it does not have directional arrows, but if you hold FN and then the mouse direction, then it will have the same effect. THe keyboard is big, but it fits in my pocket. I bought mine for around 30-39$ at Techforless.com. GL

frankenbike
11-24-2004, 01:37 AM
I like my IR keyboard (Belkin), but it is fiddly. If I had to use it all the time, I'd probably go for BT.

BUT...

I can use IR on a commercial airplane. BT is specifically prohibited on some airlines (American comes to mind, which disallows use of any radio interface use).

As for the IR being fiddly on the Belkin keyboard, I can avoid it by using the Axim I have in left hand landscape with the IR port almost on top of the Belkins IR transceiver with the Axim slightly to the right of center, and have absolutely no problems or fiddling. There's a certain level of flexibility there, and most of my hassles deal with the fact that I like working in landscape with the screen centered. At least it accommodates that preference. But it means moving around the mirror on the detached stand until I get it just right the first time, then remembering the setup the next time I use it.

Obviously, with BT, none of this except use on airlines is an issue. You connect up, and it's connected.

However, BT also uses more power than IR. So add that to your pro/con spreadsheet ;)

Andy Whiteford
11-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Bluetooth is more convenient in use than IR however IR is arguably easier to set up and also cheaper. My personal preference though is Bluetooth and I think you will find the majority of PDAs in the forseeable future, with the exception of the very low end, will come with Bluetooth.
The price will come down on BT keyboards as well as more competition appears. If you can hold off a little, see what happens to the market but in the long term I think a BT keyboard is the best option for sheer practicality alone.

Darius Wey
11-24-2004, 12:40 PM
I think over time, you will tend to prefer the BT keyboards. It doesn't require your device to be in the line of sight of the receiver as you would otherwise need for the IR keyboards. So essentially, you can shift the BT keyboard around the table without worrying about dropouts in the hardware detection.