View Full Version : Top issues with the 4700?

prototype
11-22-2004, 09:36 PM
What are the major/minor issues with the 4700, aside from the price?? :lol:

I heard a couple comments regarding enabling the wireless, and sometimes not having enough memory available to do so... having to reset the unit first. Similar to my old 5555's problem.

What other issues have surfaced?

globaloffice
11-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Mine's been flawless.....

-Roger

Dave Beauvais
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
My biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to like my access point at home. There's another thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33609) on this. So far, it works with every other wireless access point or router I've encountered except mine. More than a little frustrating. I'm not sure where the fault lies, though, because my laptop and my previous PPC, an iPAQ h5455 work perfectly. I suppose it could be the hx4700, but since it works with every other WLAN I use regularly, I'm inclined to blame my access point.

I also wish it came standard with 128 MB RAM rather than the 64 HP decided to use. Aside from those two things, I have zero complaints about my hx4700. It's by far the best Pocket PC I've ever used. (And the display is simply stunning!)

David Loendorf
11-29-2004, 05:22 PM
I am having a problem getting Bluetooth to run if WiFi is running. If I do a hard reset and load no programs then both will work together. Evidently, one of the programs I load is causing problems. This should not happen, as the programs are pretty standard.

In any case, I am not happy about this.

StoneWolf
11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
I have the (minor) problem of the wireless icon in the bottom right of the screen sometimes disappearing. This seems to happen when exiting a program like Word that has the keyboard selector.

Also, if I try to activate Landscape mode with WisBar activated, the top bar's graphics become garbled and the start button dosn't work, requiring a soft reset. Very annoying. As a result I don't use landscape as often as I'd like.

Aside from those two issues, I'm very pleased with my 4700. :-)

Fedorov
11-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Okay so I'm a fairly advanced Windows PC user/developer but this is my FIRST PDA, only had it 3 days and WOW, I like this a lot - I had it running with my Belkin Wireless-G-Router within a few minutes of switching it on.

Now having great fun learning about all the great software you can get for this thing!

I've used PocketPC's at work a few times but this model blows their socks off - showed it to a few guys at work today and they loved it.

Fedorov.

ziggurat29
11-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Video playback is glitchy, at least at VGA at 24fps.
Could use more RAM, this is partially mitigated by having a large ROM store, which is nice.

I'm glad StoneWolf metioned the wireless icon disappearing -- I've seen that too. Annoying; only way I know to get it back is to soft reset. Rather puts a damper on turning on the WiFi/Bluetooth....

StoneWolf
11-30-2004, 05:43 PM
ziggurat29, I've had some success opening and closing a fullscreen program (GangstaRace) to reset the wireless icon; much faster than a soft reset, especially considering the amount of memory-resident stuff I have installed. :roll:

ignar
11-30-2004, 08:07 PM
For me, I'm not quite happy with a size, a touchpad, small RAM size, the location of IR port, and square shape bottom design.

Also though the screen is a beauty, I found sometimes it looks a little bit dark and saturated too much. In addition, I found Dell's 3.7" screen shows QVGA screen more clearly than iPaq's 4" one.