View Full Version : WiFi and Activesync.........

delfuhd
11-22-2004, 03:32 AM
Okay, well, I have XP Pro, an h2215 with a Socket SD WLAN Card, and already ahve a partnership with Activesync. I'm on a LAN from a router, and an access point. I can RD my computer from my iPAQ, so I know they can be connect/communicate, but I can't seem to get ActiveSync to sync or even connect with my PC. (And it just so happens I left my cradle at my dorm, because I thouht I wouldn't need it with WiFi :roll: ). So, can anyone help me? I've searched and read lots of threads on WiFi over Activesync, I've gone to the tutorial, and nothing seems to be working.
Any ideas?

Sven Johannsen
11-22-2004, 04:28 AM
Let me give it a shot.

Open ActiveSync on the PC and go to File>Connection Settings. Make sure 'Allow network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) server connection with this desktop computer' is checked. Done on the desktop.

Open ActiveSync on the PPC and go to Tools>Options. Make sure the PC you want to connect with shows in the drop down, and check 'Sync with this PC during manual sync'. There is an Options button too that leads you to a screen that lets you select whether you want to disconnect after syncing or not. Set per your desire.

Go to Start>Setting>Connections Tab> Connections. Got to Advanced Tab. Push 'Select Networks'. Set both the dropdown boxes to 'My Work Network'. Pick either one and hit Edit. Click the proxy Settings Tab. Check the box that says 'This Network connects to the Internet'. Tap OK until you get back to Today.

Select AS, and tap Sync.

I ran through these screens with my 2215 and a Socket CF WiFi card. Hope it works for you.

delfuhd
11-22-2004, 05:43 AM
aha! i knew i was forgetting something. I didn't check the "my work network" stuff. Well, now I don't get an error when I press "sync," but now all it does is display "connecting" for a few seconds, then "Not connected." So it still doesn't connect. Or, it connects, then maybe doesn't have anything to sync? So it just immediately disconnects? But I thought that it synced everything automatically... I had this working a few months ago, but for some reason now its just being poop.

famousdavis
11-22-2004, 06:31 AM
In this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34573) I am experiencing the same trouble as you. So, although I can't help you, I can commiserate with your perplexing problem. :wink:

famousdavis
11-22-2004, 06:35 AM
... I had this working a few months ago, but for some reason now its just being poop.

Did you have it running under XP SP-1, but it's not working now that you've upgraded to XP SP-2? I'm wondering if SP-2 closed certain ports that ActiveSync might require in order to sync.

Sven, are you running under XP SP-2?

TheOrange
11-22-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 and it works great! It actually worked on the first try. Thanks Sven for that great walkthrough.

Sven Johannsen
11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
I've never had to use it, but there may be some need for PocketHosts, so that you can relate your partner Desktop to it's IP address. WiFi ActiveSync doesn't use the desktop name, but rather it's IP. If there isn't a way to tie those together it doesn't really know who to talk to.

An older way to get around this used to be to assign your partner desktop as the WINS server, but I'm not sure if you can do that anymore now that the connection manager is 'smarter'.

I run a DNS on my network, so that is what is providing the lookup. In many cases the router you are using will do that if the address are assigned via DHCP.

One way to troubleshoot is to get vxUtil from www.cam.com (it's free), and see if you can ping your partner desktop both by IP and by host name. If you can't by IP, you have lots of issues. If it works on IP but fails on host name, then it is a name resolution issue and you won't AS untill that is resolved.