View Full Version : How? Play a whole CD on PPC stored on my desktop PC

famousdavis
11-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Okay, so I am continually making progress on my WiFi and X50v. New question:

I can play single music files on my X50v (using WMP) where the music files are stored on my desktop. To do this, I navigate to the desktop folder via Resco Explorer and just tap a music file to open it. WMP pops open and the music plays on my PPC -- cool!

But I'm stumped on how to play an entire CD on my PPC without tapping each file to open it. I can select multiple files in Resco Explorer, but I don't see how to direct them all to play, one after the other, in WMP on my X50v.

So how can you play the entire CD stored on a desktop, but have each song sequentially played in WMP on the PPC?

Xymus
11-20-2004, 10:51 PM
I just installed z2 PocketLan which allows you to use a network folder as a storage card, so I tried to use my music folder from my pc and it has been detected by WMP. But my music library weight 5gb so it's really slow to load WMP, even slower to load M$ Voice Command (which I love BTW)

But now, I have 1853 songs on queue when I ask to play everything ;)

Kati Compton
11-20-2004, 11:13 PM
I always make a playlist for each album I rip... I'd guess that that would work in your situation too. Open the playlist instead of the individual song.

Pat Logsdon
11-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Open up Resco Explorer, tap File, then Options, then tap the Add-Ins tab. Select "Show Network as "Network" folder under "My Device". That should allow WMP to see the network folder, and you'll be able to create a playlist. :D

RenesisX
11-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Create an ASX file, which is basically a "Windows Media Playlist".

Create a file called NameOfMyAlbum.asx

Open it in Notepad and enter:

<asx version="3.0">
<title>My Album Name Here</title>
<entry>
<ref href="track1.wma" />
</entry>
<entry>
<ref href="track2.wma" />
<entry>
</asx>

Add as many <entry> as you need for the tracks on your album. The tracks don't have to be WMA, they can be MP3 too.

Then just click the ASX and off you go. Hopefully :)

famousdavis
11-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Open up Resco Explorer, tap File, then Options, then tap the Add-Ins tab. Select "Show Network as "Network" folder under "My Device". That should allow WMP to see the network folder, and you'll be able to create a playlist. :D

BINGO!!

Surgical Snack, you're an Ace! I made the change, and WMP found the My Music folder on my desktop (after a loooong wait.....until I remembered I had to first turn-on the WiFi on my X50v :oops: ). I just tapped right into one of my CD folders and WMP began playing each song sequentially. No fuss, no muss.

Again, my hearty thanks, Pat! :lol:

jasondearyou
11-21-2004, 09:05 AM
that's nice, now tell me, you can also then watch the dvd's right?, since it's just playing the file?
0X

Pat Logsdon
11-21-2004, 11:03 AM
that's nice, now tell me, you can also then watch the dvd's right?, since it's just playing the file?
0X
You'd be better off streaming them through Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx) on your desktop. Just set up a custom session, make sure you know what IP the encoder is broadcasting to, and then access that IP through Pocket WMP. Works like a charm.

jasondearyou
11-23-2004, 04:13 AM
hmmm. cool

ebadger
11-23-2004, 11:03 PM
This is super-cool

Jonathon Watkins
11-26-2004, 05:41 PM
0X
You'd be better off streaming them through Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx) on your desktop.

So are you saying that you can set Windows Media Player and Media Encoderup on your PC to play music and then controll it with your PPC?

I am about to get a wifi router, so controlling the MP3s playing on the PC would be rather good. :-)

By the way, is there any way of viewing all albums in WMP on the PC, by album sorted by artist? I am looking for the MusicMatch type view, i.e. the way you would physically have your albums arranged, with all on view, sorted by artist. I have asked this question at DMT and various WMP website and no-one seems to know if this is possible.

tourdewolf
11-26-2004, 10:29 PM
I am curious about this too. I thought if I set up a stream in WME then I have to start the stream from the pc then receive it on the PPC. Which would work if I am sitting at my desk and want to go, say across the house to and finish watching. But what if I am already sitting away from my pc and decide I would like to watch a movie? Is there a straightforward way to initiate a stream from the pc usind the PPC?

Pat Logsdon
11-27-2004, 01:48 AM
So are you saying that you can set Windows Media Player and Media Encoderup on your PC to play music and then controll it with your PPC?
No, using Windows Media Encoder is exactly the same as listening to an internet radio station. You jack into the IP and listen - you can't control anything.

If you want to use your PPC to control the music on your PC, I would HIGHLY recommend Vinyl (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=768). The developer isn't in business at this time, but the product is very well made, and very stable. It works just fine on my 4150, and it should work well on your x50v.

Basically, it installs a client on your PPC and a server on your PC. You tell the server where your files are located, and it loads them into a database. Then it searches for album art and organizes the music. When you're ready to listen, you fire up the server, it tells you the IP address it's using, and then you open the client on the PPC, enter the IP (once), and you're ready to go. You can create playlists, sort by artist, album and genre. The album art displays on the PPC, which is very cool:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/5229/pc_capture2.jpg

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/5229/pc_capture1.jpg

It works via ActiveSync, WiFi and Bluetooth. Did I mention that it's free, too?

:mrgreen:

Pat Logsdon
11-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Is there a straightforward way to initiate a stream from the pc usind the PPC?
I don't think there's a straightforward way to do this. As far as I know, the only way would be to use VPN application like movianVPN (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2467)to access your PC from your PPC, start WME, stream the file, etc.

tourdewolf
11-27-2004, 03:09 AM
Is there a straightforward way to initiate a stream from the pc usind the PPC?
I don't think there's a straightforward way to do this. As far as I know, the only way would be to use VPN application like movianVPN (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2467)to access your PC from your PPC, start WME, stream the file, etc.

That's a bummer. One of the things I do most with my PPC is watch movies, it would be great to login to my desktop and watch via wifi. I guess it would make the PPC a "media extender" of sorts. :wink: