View Full Version : I've moved across the time zone, and here is a question.

ignar
11-19-2004, 10:35 PM
I've moved from CST to EST. Currently both my PocketPC and laptop are set to CST, and I like to change it to EST. The problem is when I changed the time zone, all of my appointments on Outlook are shifted by one hour. I remember we discussed this issue before, and to some degree, understand the logic behind it, but it is still quite annoying. I wonder if there is a way to change time zone settings without shifting appointments in the Outlook.

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2004, 10:52 PM
I've moved from CST to EST. Currently both my PocketPC and laptop are set to CST, and I like to change it to EST. The problem is when I changed the time zone, all of my appointments on Outlook are shifted by one hour. I remember we discussed this issue before, and to some degree, understand the logic behind it, but it is still quite annoying. I wonder if there is a way to change time zone settings without shifting appointments in the Outlook.

No, there is not, and same goes for the PPC as the logic is the same. If you have moved permanantly there is a way to move all your appointments. Export them all to a file, change the time zone and import them back. There is a Knowledge Base article at MS support that details it more. Search for Time Zone and Outlook.

If this is just temporary, leave the TZ alone and just change the clock time.

hamishmacdonald
11-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Thanks! I was about to travel and face this issue myself. Your solution is so elegantly simple.

"But I should be able to change timezones without changing my appointments!" Yes, but do what the nice man says and you won't screw everything up.

There was a nice piece of freeware a few years back that added a "change time zone" contextual menu to appointments, but I don't imagine it's still around. Must go have a look.

hamishmacdonald
11-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Aha! Found it!

http://www.geocities.com/alexaleks3/

Hmm. This isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it achieves the same effect: essentially it adds a pop-up contextual menu allowing you to choose which city your appointment is going to be in, and adjusts the time accordingly. When you're there and change cities, your appointment should slide back to the proper time.

Why do it the easy way, when there's a complicated way to do it with software?!