View Full Version : I like recharging via USB!

famousdavis
11-19-2004, 04:09 AM
After learning that my X50v can be recharged via the USB connection, I am now using that to recharge my PPC when I'm at home. The power cable I've taken to work, so I can keep my X50 juiced while I'm listening to MP3s. This is a great solution! I don't have to worry about running out of battery power at work, and I don't have to buy an extended battery or a 2nd power cord! Moreover, my UPS is maxed out at home, so charging through the USB connection doesn't require plugging in the power cord to an unsecured outlet at home, and the power going to the X50v via the USB must be pretty clean power, having passed through my UPS already.

Sweet!

jasondearyou
11-19-2004, 04:18 AM
thats the coolest, i wonder if the loox could be done the same way.

gregmills
11-19-2004, 04:52 AM
My e750 does that. Belkin makes a Sync/Charge cable with an auto adapter. I can listen to MP3s on a long drive and not have to worry about losing charge. When I'm travelling all I need is a PC with USB slot or a car to get juiced up again.

Next to my storage cards my sync/charge cable is my most used accessory.

xlpro
11-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Does anyone know where to get a charge sync cable for the X50v?

Thanks

Sven Johannsen
11-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know where to get a charge sync cable for the X50v?

Dell? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=80370889&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=6067&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx

It's a Belkin, so likely you can get it elsewhere as well. Haven't seen one of the retractable ones yet, give it time.

Raynne
11-20-2004, 08:43 PM
I believe boxwave will release one by the end of this month, or beginning of next. Hopefully it will be soon because I want to order one along with the versacharger.

frankenbike
11-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Coolest thing about USB charging: when you travel, you can take a self powered USB hub (the one I have is about 1" X 2.5" OR 25mm x 62.5mm, and has its own small power supply) which I can run 4 USB powered devices on (for me, I can charge my Axim, phone and run my Asus WL-330g pocket AP off one power supply using the USB hub, and I still have a slot left).

Sven Johannsen
11-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey famousdavis, How are you doing that USB charging? Did you buy the travel cable? Mine does not charge when sitting in the cradle without the charger plugged in.

bmurphy
11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I have to agree with Sven, my x30h doesn't charge in the cradle unless I pug in to the power.. I got an extra travel sync cord... it just is the socket pug.. and it connects to the power cord. (I'm still waiting for my x50v !!! now back ordered until Dec 24th.. uggggg!)
:cry:

Kati Compton
11-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Hey famousdavis, How are you doing that USB charging? Did you buy the travel cable? Mine does not charge when sitting in the cradle without the charger plugged in.
Mine does, but only when powered OFF.

Sven Johannsen
11-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Mine does, but only when powered OFF.

Well, I'll be.... So does mine. I was naturally looking at the power screen to see if it changed from charging when I pulled the power. Didn't occur to me that it might do it when off. Just checked and sure enough, sitting in cradle, off, no power connected, just USB, and the charge light is bright as Rudolph's nose. (only orange ;) )

Learn something new every day. Thanks Katie, and Famous for bringing it up.

P.S. BTW, the travel sync cable for my X30 does the same, no power, X30 off, charge light lit.

Kati Compton
11-28-2004, 04:25 AM
Learn something new every day. Thanks Katie, and Famous for bringing it up.
Always happy to help! :)