View Full Version : Windows Media

puihang
11-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I have a 3970 running 2002. My Windows Media player no longer works - everytime I tap on the icon, nothing happens :(

I have a horrible feeling that I may have accidentally deleted something that enabled the media player to work :oops: :oops:

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Many thanks

Kowalski
11-18-2004, 07:33 PM
all the files needed to run windows media player should be in the rom, maybe a broken link?

Darius Wey
11-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Some software conflicts can cause this. You may want to consider performing a clean install of the program (Windows Media Player 8.0) on your device: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4615afac-936c-40f0-b557-9f4c2ddc3318&DisplayLang=en

Otherwise, if that doesn't solve the problem, you can consider performing a hard reset to see if this solves it.

puihang
11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Ok, I've tried doing a clean install of Windows Media. Now, when I click on it, Windows Media tries to open for a split second and then fails.

Any ideas?

Steven Cedrone
11-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Did you change the skin and then delete the skin file???

Steve

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Do you have Pocket Breeze installed? I think there is still a conflict between assigning the d-pad to both PB and media player functions. Symptoms are as you describe. To fix go into Pocket Breeze settings and uncheck the use-d-pad features. Then decide if navigating PB or MP via the d-pad is more important to you.

puihang
11-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Did you change the skin and then delete the skin file???

Steve

No

puihang
11-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Do you have Pocket Breeze installed? I think there is still a conflict between assigning the d-pad to both PB and media player functions. Symptoms are as you describe. To fix go into Pocket Breeze settings and uncheck the use-d-pad features. Then decide if navigating PB or MP via the d-pad is more important to you.

No, I don't have Pocket Breeze installed. The only apps that I have where I use the D pad are a couple of games - PodZ and Kevtris

I've unticked the D-Pad options in both games but it hasn't made any difference :(

Pat Logsdon
11-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Have you tried launching the program directly from the Windows folder via File Explorer? Look for wmplayer.exe. If it works from there, tap and hold the file and select "Copy". Then tap and hold the Windows/Start Menu/Programs folder and select "Paste as shortcut". That should allow you to launch the player from the Programs page in the future.

puihang
11-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Have you tried launching the program directly from the Windows folder via File Explorer? Look for wmplayer.exe.

Yes, but the same thing happens. It flashes up for a split second and closes again.

When I go into the Windows Media Player folder, I see 3 things - player (which I am certain is the .exe file), a file called Welcome to Windows Media and a file called default. The icon for this default file is the icon you get when Windows doesn't know which program to associate with the file. The file extension is .skn and the message I get is "please specify a viewer application which will be associated with this file extension. Choose the program you want to use"- at the moment it is point at Windows Media Player\player.exe

FrozenIpaq
11-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Well, if you can't get it to work you can always use PocketMusic :P LOL, does your PPC have an upgrade to 2003? Cause that might be a good idea, if not then,....hmmmm make sure you have all the files in the windows folder and/or try launching it from a new location by copying the file and pasting it somewhere else.

puihang
11-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, if you can't get it to work you can always use PocketMusic :P LOL, does your PPC have an upgrade to 2003? Cause that might be a good idea, if not then,....hmmmm make sure you have all the files in the windows folder and/or try launching it from a new location by copying the file and pasting it somewhere else.

I don't have PocketMusic - I wouldn't bother with Windows Media if I had :roll:

I could upgrade to 2003 but I would prefer not to. I can't seen any benefit to doing so (apart from getting Windows Media working again but is there any guarantee that it will fix my problem?)

I have all the files in the windows folder. Someone else has already made the suggestion of launching from a new location but that doesn't work either