View Full Version : Dell X50 and HP Stereo Bluetooth Headphones...

kozak
11-18-2004, 04:56 AM
I have an incling that the HP headphones will work with my Dell. I just paired my BT200 headset with my X50v and watched a movie and listened to my music with no problems. The setup was a breaze, the wizard did all the work. The audio gateway is already in the BT driver, so this leads me to beleive that we'll be able to use those sexy new headphones, atleast I hope.

I hope HP ships them soon.

ChemNerd
11-18-2004, 05:44 AM
To my understanding it won't. If it does I'd be EXTREMELY happy, but to my understanding they are only for iPaqs.

Yes the Dell has the audio setup but all bluetooth headsets are mono and while I'm sure you were able to listen to music it's not in stereo. You would need to install "drivers" on your pocket pc in order to be able to use the HP set. They have only made them for the iPaqs since it's HP. So Sorry to say it won't work.

I could be wrong, but I recall hearing this from several sites that the headset would require something installed to the ppc to be able to use. So please correct me if I am wrong and this is possible, because if it is I'm all sorts of happy.

ADBrown
11-18-2004, 09:48 AM
We really have no definitive information one way or the other at this point. It could go either way. We'll just have to wait until someone can try them on an Axim.

I'd be happy to volunteer my X30 and X50v, if anyone wants to send me a pair of the headphones. :devilboy:

Sven Johannsen
11-18-2004, 04:20 PM
The thread here that accompanies the link to the review asked specifically if it would work with the X50.
Hi Dave: Do you know anyone with an X50v, who can check whether these will work on 'em?
The response was
Unfortunately it wont work, just tried it tonight..

kozak
11-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Hmm, that sucks. But if all it requires is the software, why can't the software be installed on any other pocket pc? If it only checks for which device it's being installed on, it should be possible to get the software to install with a hack or copy the installed files to a new device. It's been done before with other devices. Wasn't there an HP camera that only worked with Jordana's, and someone wrote a driver to use on other PPC's?

I'm hoping someone will figure this out. I have an iPaq h2215, but also would like to use them on my X50v, since WMP 10 is just the best thing to happen to PPC's in my opinion. I hated making playlists, WMP 10 can just scan my 4gig microdrive and sort my music for me, it's the best. I will try and figure out what files it installs on my iPaq and try to get it to work on my dell.

Sven Johannsen
11-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Wasn't there an HP camera that only worked with Jordana's, and someone wrote a driver to use on other PPC's?.

Yes, there was. One company did create a camera app that allowed the HP CF camera to be used in other devices, and MS Portrait actually supported it on other devices. For Portrait you got a file out of the HP install files and loaded that on your iPaq or dell X5 and Portrait would access the camera. It wasn't as clean as someone writing a driver that let any camera app use the camera.

You are likely right that someone could write the interface, but they would need some insight to information that HP likely isn't handing out. In this case they need to muck with BT stacks, which has the potential of screwing up a lot of other stuff. Not sure if there isn't even some FCC certification isues when you mess with the software that drives a Tx/Rx.

ChemNerd
11-18-2004, 10:31 PM
HP specificly designed these to be used on THEIR devices only. It's an added bonus to buy an HP over one of the other devices. I'm sorry to see that I was right about it though. Again the issue comes with the bluetooth drivers that exist supporting ONLY a headset and not a stereo channel. This requires extra work on HP's part to ensure that it works - so they did it for their devices and no one elses.

Could someone do something to get around this? Possibly. You would first need to have an Axim to work with and the ability to write device drivers specificly for the axim and so on and so forth. More than likely this isn't going to happen.

The problem as to my understanding is that the drivers would have to be tailored to the individual devices based on their configuration since the hardware is probably diffrent.

Keep in mind though that the HP headphones were done by Logitech so there is a possibility they'll release one for the Axim or that another company will.

Here's to hoping.