View Full Version : i hate being new to a board, but i need help with activesync/Axim X5

scottsins
11-17-2004, 03:52 AM
i bought a slightly used X5 for my wife. I DL'ed active sync (whatever the newest version is). The problem is that our computers dont seem to recognize the handheld.

when I open "My Computer" the icon just says "Handheld Device", and I thought it should say Dell X5 or something.

anyway, when I run Activesync, it will not connect, and it does not locate the device in any of the ports.

I've tried on both our PC's here and it won't work on either of them.

We are both running PC's that are a couple of years old and running XP. Are we lacking a driver for this or something.

LMK if any more information is needed or if there is a good tutorial to answer this. I've tried going through a couple of help topic processes and I don't really know what else to do.

Thanks.

scottsins
11-17-2004, 04:28 AM
update:

i DL'd and unzipped some x5 driver file from aximusers.com.

now, when I plug the device into the USB port, it gives the bubble that says"Hardware detected...Now ready to use...Dell Axim X5.

still, though, Activesync will not connect to it. :(

bmurphy
11-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Did you go to activeSync on your x5? and gone to AS folder and asked it to get connected?..In file>get connected and connection settings. make sure the usb connections are ticked, and click get connected.
There are connection settings to make sure to be ticked on the device too, in AS on the x5 tools>options.

scottsins
11-17-2004, 01:41 PM
ok, now I'm really confused.

I am trying to take the advice of the post above, which makes alot of sense. The problem is that I can't figure out how to do it.

When I Start > ActiveSync, NOTHING happens, and it just returns to the main screen.

Is this not what I am supposed to do?

Andy Whiteford
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
ok, now I'm really confused.

I am trying to take the advice of the post above, which makes alot of sense. The problem is that I can't figure out how to do it.

When I Start > ActiveSync, NOTHING happens, and it just returns to the main screen.

Is this not what I am supposed to do?

Have you still not managed to get your device synched yet?

PetiteFlower
11-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Did you follow the installation instructions EXACTLY from your manual?

You need to install Activesync from the CD that came with the Axim first, before connecting the cradle. A downloaded version may not work. Then, plug in the cradle, and then connect the Axim last.

Try unplugging the cradle, completely uninstalling Activesync, and starting over.

drop
11-17-2004, 09:07 PM
I think everybody who buys gears for loved one should be commended :wink:.

scottsins, you are getting close. Just like PetiteFlower said, do *not* connect the USB cradle until ActiveSync is installed successfully.

Jeff00000168
11-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Also, if you have firewall on your computer, "ALLOW" Active Sync to connect to the internet.

scottsins
11-17-2004, 10:35 PM
regarding the active sync install, the guy I bought it from could not find the CD, so I had to use the download version.

also, I have made sure to not connect the Axim before dl'ing/installing the program.

finally, it doesn't matter if I use the cradle or the extra USB connector does it?

drop
11-18-2004, 12:42 AM
XP recognized my X5 device immediately. So it is not XP. How about starting from the very beginning. Hard reset the device. Uninstall and reinstall ActiveSync 3.7.1. Then connect the cradle, then the device.

scottsins
11-18-2004, 02:48 AM
the hard reset seems to have been the key.

like I said earlier, active sync wasn't opening so...

works great now.

thanks alot for the help.

drop
11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Good to hear it. Enjoy the X5. It is a great device.