View Full Version : Dell Axim X50V Screen Protector

isilver
11-17-2004, 03:23 AM
I just purchased a Dell Axim X50V on the internet and it is suppose to arrive within about a week (I Hope). I need to purchase screen protectors but it seems like dell.ca doesn't have any available.

Will the Dell axim x5, x30 protectors work on the Dell Axim x50v. I though the screen was bigger so I'm not sure. Does anyone know what screen protector will work with this new pocket PC?

Kati Compton
11-17-2004, 03:39 AM
The x5 and x30 have noticeably smaller screens. While you could apply the protector, it wouldn't cover the area used by scroll bars, for example.

You can order protectors specifically for the X50/x50V. Among the most recommended are the Boxwave Cleartouch and the PPC Techs WriteShields.

Note that PPC Techs says on their site that the anti-glare variety of screen protectors can make VGA screens (if you got the X50v) pixelly. I haven't seen it for myself, but because of that warning I didn't get the anti-glare version, I got the C2 (clear) version. Ordered them late last week.

MPSmith
11-17-2004, 04:15 AM
I have the C2's as well and love 'em for my X50v. The screen looks like there's not a protector on it. Boxwave Crystal's are probably just as good. Both companies are great and make fantastic products IMHO.

webdaemon
11-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Which Write Shield did you guys buy for the x50v? I only see x5 versions on PPC Techs....

famousdavis
11-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Having not owned anything other than the poorly regarded protector by Fellowes, I ordered a two protectors from Boxwave -- one antiglare, one crystal. I thought I'd see which I like better (thinking anti-glare), and use the other for a backup.

drop
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
There is only one kind of WriteShield for X50v. May be for the reason Kati described. The C2 WriteShield is crystal clear. Love it.

Kati Compton
11-17-2004, 08:38 PM
No - both types are offered. Not sure why you're not seeing the X50v protectors. If you go to http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp and mouse over "Dell" it should list all the Dell handhelds, including the X50/X50v.

drop
11-17-2004, 09:14 PM
You are right, Kati.

When I ordered, the first day it was posted on PPCTs, only C2 was available. Now I need others to tell me if they like the AG, AG/C2 version. And if the pixel problem is apparent in AG.

Darn, WriteShield lasts forever, it would be another 18 months or something before I could try something else.

I stand by the other half of my statement, C2 is crystal clear :D.

upplepop
11-17-2004, 11:18 PM
You guys should also look into BoxWave's products which I have heard are just as good as WriteShield and a little bit cheeper. Problem is that they won't be out until November 30, but they are accepting pre-orders.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouchcrystal/cleartouch-crystal-screen-protector-dell-axim-x50v_446.htm

famousdavis
11-18-2004, 02:57 AM
You guys should also look into BoxWave's products which I have heard are just as good as WriteShield and a little bit cheeper. Problem is that they won't be out until November 30, but they are accepting pre-orders.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouchcrystal/cleartouch-crystal-screen-protector-dell-axim-x50v_446.htm

Because Boxwave is more reasonably priced is why I went with them. A single screen protector was $13 plus a few dollars for shipping. I got a 15% coupon, too, over at www.aximsite.com, so that essentially discounted the cost of the shipping. Compare that to the 3-pack WriteShields for nearly $40, and there was nothing else to consider.

webdaemon
11-18-2004, 03:23 AM
Thanks, I found it. I was looking at their resellers list and going to another site to purchase. I didn't know I could purchase from PPC Techs site. I ordered one and hopefully it should arrive about the same time as my x50v.

Jonathon Watkins
11-23-2004, 11:59 AM
When I ordered, the first day it was posted on PPCTs, only C2 was available. Now I need others to tell me if they like the AG, AG/C2 version. And if the pixel problem is apparent in AG.

I am looking at this as well. Are the C2s the way to go, or are the other versions better?

I'm looking at the AG/C2 Combo 2-Pak Kit at Expansys (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=116727) for £16.95 Worth going for?

webdaemon
11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
I got my c2 yesterday and I really like it. It's much better than the disposable kind I had for my x3i. One note, if you have the x50v, they say the AG protector pixilates the screen. That's why I got the c2 version.