View Full Version : Anyone else have problems with 40th floor AAC player?

Tripitaka
11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi

My girlfriend recently bought a pocket PC with the intention of using it as an MP3 player. Unfortunately, because she ripped all her CD's using itunes, they are in AAC and as far as I am aware, the 40thfloor player http://iplay.40th.com/ is the only thing that plays these on PPC. She has about 70GB of music in her itunes folder so re-ripping in WMA isnt really an option. I was thinking about buying her the 40th floor player and decided to install it on my 2210 first just to have a look.

My first concern is that it somehow bypassed activesync and installed itself in such a way that it is not showing on my add/remove list either on the ipaq or in activesync on the desktop.

In all honesty, it seems like a not particularly good piece of software and I've so far been unable to get it to recognise any AAC files although it did play an MP3 once before crashing.

Normally all this would lead me to believe that I had somehow installed it incorrectly but since it has its own installer which does all the work, my only involvement was to click a button telling it to install, and since its not in the add/remove list, I can't take it off and start from scratch. I tried reinstalling it over the top though and that didnt fix anything.

I then read something on a webpage which kind of suggested this software contains trojans. My questions are...

Has anyone else used this software and if so, can you advise if you had similar experiences or if it worked ok for you?

does anyone know of any software which already exists or which is in development that plays (non-encrypted) AAC files?

Any suggestions (other than a hard reset) to remove this from my ipaq?

Thanks