View Full Version : Backup Battery on 50v

safjazz
11-16-2004, 12:26 AM
I've read the owner's manual on the 50v and I still can't figure out where the backup battery is on this model. Does anyone else know?

MPSmith
11-16-2004, 01:25 AM
As far as I can tell it is built in and not accessible to the user.

safjazz
11-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Well that's a pain. I hate that sort of thing.

Kati Compton
11-16-2004, 02:05 AM
On the positive side, it's rechargable...

safjazz
11-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Oh. Well, rechargeable is good.

Sven Johannsen
11-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Note that that battery is not designed to support the PPC for extended periods. The note on the power screen says 'the backup battery can hold info for 30 min in the absence of the regular battery'. It is designed to hold info while you are changing batteries, not while you leave your Axim on a shelf while you are on vacation for a month.

famousdavis
11-16-2004, 06:28 PM
On the positive side, it's rechargable...

To carry the pun forward, on the negative side, it's not user-replaceable, and even a rechargeable battery will, eventually, need to be replaced. But likely you'll lust after a new PPC by then. :-)

Me? I don't need an outlet for my frustration, because I'm neutral on the subject.

Will I get grounded if I make too many puns in one post?

Steven Cedrone
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
To carry the pun forward, on the negative side, it's not user-replaceable, and even a rechargeable battery will, eventually, need to be replaced. But likely you'll lust after a new PPC by then. :-)

Me? I don't need an outlet for my frustration, because I'm neutral on the subject.

Will I get grounded if I make too many puns in one post?

Don't force me to charge you with a time out... :wink:

Steve

jweisz
11-17-2004, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the backup were actually a capacitor rather than a battery, and they just say battery to avoid confusing the masses.

famousdavis
11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the backup were actually a capacitor rather than a battery, and they just say battery to avoid confusing the masses.

I would be shocked if that were really true.

PetiteFlower
11-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Considering the annoyance I'm having with my user-replaceable non-rechargable backup battery in my X5, I think this is a vast improvement. A backup battery should take a lot longer to wear out then a regular battery and even if it does wear out, it's not an ESSENTIAL function.

I'm just sick of seeing the "low backup battery" warning every time I turn the damn thing on. Like, I KNOW already, I'll get to the store when I get to it, now SHUT UP!

Jonathon Watkins
11-23-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm just sick of seeing the "low backup battery" warning every time I turn the damn thing on. Like, I KNOW already, I'll get to the store when I get to it, now SHUT UP!

Tell me about it. My X5 won't SHUT UP!!! :|